Towing with a 110 Defender

Started by B-Red, September 04, 2023, 01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B-Red

I am trying to verify the towing capacity for Tigger. It has a 200 TDi with a 1.4 ratio transfer case.
Am also trying to find a 2" receiver that can have the height adjusted to match my camping trailer.
I will need also to add an electric brake for it. Any wiring schematics could be great help.
Thank you

Red90

4000 kg, but that would be insane.

Height adjustment should be via the tongue, not the receiver.  Make sure the receiver is not just supported from the crossmember if you plan to tow heavy things.

Come on. You are an electrical engineer.

B-Red

4000 kg is what the internet showed. So sounds on track. I am using a sway control hitch. So the height of the receiver has to provide a level tow.

Red90

If the receiver needs to be at a non standard height, you will need a custom designed and built one.

DBrands

Quote from: B-Red on September 04, 2023, 03:26 PM
4000 kg is what the internet showed. So sounds on track. I am using a sway control hitch. So the height of the receiver has to provide a level tow.
All of the sway control systems I am aware of connect to the hitch itself, not the hitch receiver.
Mount the receiver tight to the rear cross member to preserve departure angle, and like John says, make sure it is well-designed and braced further up the frame so it doesn't twist your crossmember off.
You'll need a module to convert split brake and turn to combined brake and turn.
David B

1990 D90 - 200TDI

Matt H

The factory tow bar connects to the rear crossmember and has outriggers that locate back to the chassis for some triangulation. I have one that I took off my Defender about a day after I got it.
I can post pictures if you want.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

B-Red

I used my 2004 Discovery for towing my 5500lb trailer camper last year instead. Adding the brake controller made it more manageable. Took it out few times with great results.
I decided to keep Tiger as an empty box off grid camper. Much easier to tent or sleep inside when off-roading.