2023 Founders Day Land Rover show in Chilliwack

Started by binch, August 06, 2023, 07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

binch

Sorry folks...I thought I put something up here about this but I guess I forgot.....

Every year the BC Rover Landers put on a long weekend of "Land Rover".   It's the biggest land rover show in western Canada bar none.   

Here are the details:

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1186438122225022&set=a.1127936424741859

Indoor show (no rain worries there) on Saturday and a Green lane day in the mountains on the sunday.

https://roverlanders.bc.ca/roverforum/viewtopic.php?t=12659

Chris is coming down with his LR 3(?) and I'll be heading down in the 110.       I'm thinking of leaving on Thursday so I can stop in Clearwater on the way down for a hearty dinner at the Smoke house there (Exceptional food there!!!).  I'll continue down on Friday to Chilliwack and stay in the area until Sunday afternoon.     Rather then driving home on the Sunday as I have done in the past I'll stay for the Green Laning and head out Sunday afternoon, with the intention of being home on Monday afternoon.

I have done this trip in the 110 leaving frday morning and returning sunday evening a couple of times.   Great drive and the scenery is spectacular!

Anyone else want to join in the adventure?????

cheers, Bill ;D

This is a great show and the folks out there do a great job hosting it.
Cheers, Bill

Chris

Hi Bill, yes I will be in my LR3. I will be on the East harrison enjoying some hot springs and camping Thursday night after the Whipsaw event. if anyone wants to join me their welcome too
Then on my way towards chiliwack Friday, Bill if you want to meet in Hope and convoy to Chiliwack for lunch or dinner (depending when you plan on leave clearwater) I'm happy to meet you in hope.

binch

Are you sure you want to drive that slow hahahahhahahhahah

Yeah, I'm game for meeting up.   I'll send you a note once I've made plans beyond the thrusday evening camp LOL.   And we can work out the details then.   

When you heading out for John Barge's big adventure tour?????
Cheers, Bill

Chris

Haha I'm 6800lbs with all my gear on the truck, the difference between 120 and 90 is like 5+MPG, with the cost of premium in BC, ill gladly slow it down on the highway 😅

I'm leaving Edmonton Sunday night, camping probably just on the otherside of BC, then meeting the group  Monday evening at the Whipsaw trailhead, we should be completing the whipsaw Thursday morning, then I'm off to the Harrison to camp for the night.  the group is heading to another spot to camp towards home I believe on Thursday if I remember correctly.

binch

If the fires co-operate you folks are going to have a great trip!   Chris....did I send you my cell number????       

I'm going to be meeting up with Rob Mills and Andy Yueng(sp?) on Saturday morning (about 8am) for breakfast at the white spot, about a mile east of the show grounds for the LR due.    Not sure what the plans are for Friday evening for supper as we haven't sorted out where we will be camping yet LOL

Cheers, Bill

Chris

I have no messages with your cell  :o

Here's for hoping, Princeton had some rain yesterday so fingers crossed they get some more !

binch

Cheers, Bill

binch

Looks like this event is still a go.   I have altered my route down and back to stay to highways.    Will leave thursday am  and stay in Clearwater for the  night so I can go to the Hop n Hog smoke house for dinner on thursday.  I'll continue the remainder of the trip on Friday.   Saturday at the show, Sunday on the trail with the club and home again on friday evening and monday morning. ;D
Cheers, Bill

Chris

See you there good sir, if you don't hear from me by Saturday morning I'm broken down at the cleer creek hotsprings hahaha

binch

Well......That was a GOOD weekend!!!!   I started with a nice casual drive down to Clearwater BC on thrusday, arriving 1/2 hour before the "Hop N Hog" Smoke house opened up for the evening.   I had a wonderful pulled pork brisket with corn bread, coleslaw and proper potatoe salade....and it was sooooo goood!!!!!!!  I Can't recommend this place strongly enough....  After my supper I head down to the Rivermount Motel and Campground (right on the west shore of the N. Thompson River) where I had a quick shower before crawling into the back of the chateau 110 for the night;-). 

This left me with a little bit more then an hours drive to Kamloops where I topped up my diesel before I got into the stupid priced fuel closer to the coast.   I made it into Chilliwack about 130pm, too early to check in so I found a nice spot under a tree to ready for a bit.   I stayed at the same spot as last year for the friday night, and to my surprise the hosts had installed and A/C unit in the room!!!     Bloody Luxury that was!!!!  LOL   

Saturday morning I met up for breakfast at the white spot with Chris Kramer (and his family), Andy Yeung (sp?), Brain - with his LS powered exmod in very nice condition and Vince with the cleanest land rover I have every since...wrong, just wrong (both from south of the border).   Rob Mills wasn't able to make it unfortunately.   After breakfast we headed down to the LR show together, and we call got there just in time to receive a 75% anniversary Grill badge - VERY SHINY.    About 60 some odd vehicles there this year...with lots of camp setup displays.  Roof top tents, awnings, camp kitchens, overland trailers, etc.   3 lovely 80" Series 1's there, one of which come out on the trail with us on Sunday.   Amazingly capable vehicle offroad!!!!

After all the raffle draws were done (nope, I didn't get a thing this year but Chris did pretty well) we went for dinner before meeting up at the old crappy tire store to convoy up the the private pasture, up on a hill side looking down over chilliwack, for a group camp.   I believe there were about 22 vehicles came up for that.    No campfires allowed but there were two propane fires brought out for all of us to socialize around for the evening.

Sunday we met up at Rotten Ronnies to head out on mass for trail run in the local mountains.  Andy introduce me to and Aussie named "Shane", who used to belong to our club for a year or so before relocating to Vancouver.  He didn't recognize me at first but we had a good laugh about it ;-)   But.HOLY COW do they have a lot of out door options available to them in that area.   We had a great time out there!    We went up, down and all around, through densely forested areas, past loads of mountain bikers, hikers, dirt bikes etc, before finally ending at a glider, para sail launch area for a lunch stop.   Spectacular view over the chilliwack farms an valley area.   That was the end of the trip so we made our way back down to the valley again, from which I finally notice I hadn't seen Chis in the group!??!?!    He was up at the campsite the night before with us but didn't make it out on the trail.....will have to chat with him and find out what happened.

I was on the HWY back toward Kamloops by 4pm and topped up the tank for the drive back to Hinton.    I was fortunate enough make back to clearwater shortly after 9pm, just in time to one more amazing dinner from them, thanks to the owner's mum, who basically 'told' the kitchen staff to put something together for me!?!   Amazing!!!    I hit the road again and made to a road side rest stop around Valemont, where I crawled into the back to sleep the rest of the night away.    Monday....nice easy 4.5 hour drive home.......

The BC Rover landers did a brilliant job of make a great weekend of it, with people coming up from Oregon, Washington State, BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan.
I would really love to see more of our club come out for this event....it really is a good time with good people!!!  Hopefully next year we can get a few more out there too  ;)
Cheers, Bill