Discovery 1 Automatic Shift Knob Removal

Started by paulfuel, September 20, 2022, 11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulfuel

Hi all,

i am hoping someone can help. I am trying to remove the automatic shift knob on my 98 Disco 1 to replace the shifter surround and from what little I can find online I have taken off all the parts necessary and it should just pull up and off now. It still seems to be on tight. Below is an image I found online that shows all the parts I removed (except the shift knob itself of course). Do I just need to pull harder?

BurbleBeast

I recall that mine took a little "cajoling" to come off the first time.
If you have the final retaining nut from inside the handle (below the button mechanism) off, it should pop off with a little convincing. Try to avoid leveraging off of the surround as it could damage it and the wiring beneath it.

I have included a picture from the Haynes manual for reference.

paulfuel

Thanks so much Burblebeast! Yeah "a little cajoling" is an understatement. :) Got it out in the end. Thanks again for the reply and picture from the Haynes manual. I have one on the way but it hasn't arrived yet.

Matt H

I had to do this in the dark once when my Disco alternator failed after a day off reading in the ghost area. Battery became drained down and it got stuck in park with not enough battery power to energize the shift interlock solenoid. Or start the Disco.
After some choice language I managed to strip the shifter down and remove the solenoid, get it into neutral and wait for all around legend and top bloke John (Red90) to tow me to the restaurant where he had left his meal to go cold to come rescue me. A short time and a phone call later Andrew shows up at the restaurant with replacement alternator and tools and I'm back on the road again for the long drive back to Medicine Hat.
What great guys! I didn't really know them very well at the time and they really saved my a$$ that day and demonstrated the true meaning of helping out a Land Rover guy in need.
Since that day I've made a point of trying to pay that forward and help folks stuck on the side of the road whenever I can.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.