gearbox selector help

Started by Green Hornet 88, July 19, 2022, 07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Hornet 88

Hi folks, I'm working on the selectors of my transmission (series IIA Suffix C).  I pulled off the selector cover and it seems to be missing the 2 interlocking plungers (part #5612, #10 in the attached parts diagram) and peg Fixing interlocking pin (part #5572, item #17 in the attached parts diagram)?
I have a spare transmission (pre 1960 production?, no suffix on the selector cover serial number) its an older transmission than I have in the vehicle, but I thought I could have a look to see if it had the missing pieces.  When I pulled the selector cover off this tranny and could see the interlocking plungers, but not the peg fixing interlocking pin? (see photos)
Does anyone know if the series II A  suffix C transmission still used the plungers and pin on the selectors?
I started to research the part numbers that I had and could not find the parts anywhere.  The only part numbers I could find for the plungers and pin are noted above. I went through 4 parts catalogues and only one, 'Atlantic' even had a parts diagram for the selectors.  None of the other parts books even listed interlocking plungers or peg Fixing interlocking pins as parts for series IIA or III transmission ?
If the parts are needed for my transmission I would like to get some new ones, so any suggestions would be appreciated where they could be obtained?  I'm hoping in the short tern I might be able to use the ones from my spare transmission, but I couldn't find the peg fixing interlocking pin or how it is placed/works in the selectors? You cannot view this attachment.  You cannot view this attachment.  You cannot view this attachment. 

Alex C

looks like you are missing 2 x #10 interlock plungers (unless they are in the cover flip it over)

interlocking pin is 55697

peg fixing is 55775

I can see the pin in both photos, the peg is under the shaft at the 6 oclock position, so yo will need a mirror to see it

yes you need the plungers, pin and peg

if this does not make sense give me a call

Alex
D90 200Tdi     67 S2a 88"

Green Hornet 88

Hey Alex thanks for the info! I did check under the selector covers on both gearboxes but only found the plungers on the spare gearbox already in place.   It appears that the interlocking pin and I assume the peg fixing interlocking pin (as per your description) are still in place as I didn't remove the interlocking pins from either gearbox?  I did find a part number for the interlock plungers, # 55638 I think this is this correct part number?  I really only need a couple of interlock plungers, so if anyone has a couple of spares they could part with they would be most welcome. In the mean time  I will use the the two plungers from my spare gearbox so work can continue on my project.  I will put an order in with Bill for these three parts, I'm assuming they will come in packs of 5 from Brit part LOL! So I will probably have a few spares from this order if anyone needs any! By the way I previously ordered the steel balls; selector springs (forward and reverse) and rubber grommets they came in packs of 5 and 10, as I only need 2 of each I have plenty of spares for these!  Cheers Craig

Green Hornet 88

The gearbox adventure continues. I put the gearbox selector cover on yesterday, I was missing the nut that holds the spring and ball for the 1st/2nd gear spring, see photos.  Again I went to my spare gearbox for parts, however a different design, the 'plug' in my gearbox is 'sealed' the one in the spare has a cap with a spring from the brass nut to the cap.  So this morning I have been searching to find a parts diagram that even shows the brass nuts to get a description of the part or a part number?  It looks like a specialty nut to hold the spring in so does anyone know the part number or what its called, have a spare or is there substitute system to hold the 1st/2nd gear spring in place?
Cheers Craig
You cannot view this attachment.  You cannot view this attachment. 

Green Hornet 88

After looking for the series 2A 1st/2nd gear spring/ball selector plug/nut for a description or pictures it looks like a brass drain plug? part # 54087?  I don't have a spare to test, does anyone know if this will work?
Cheers Craig

Green Hornet 88

As in my previous post, I'm still having issues finding the correct part number for the brass plug? I did find that the brass plug for the selector spring/plug on the top transfer case will fit! However, I can't find a part number for this part either! I have reviewed many parts/numbers most don't have any details of the size threading etc, so by just looking at the pictures I'm still not sure which is the correct one it?  These are the part numbers I've looked at 5366, 607172, 241110 and 540870, I think that the part #540870 is the correct plug I just need verification before I put in my order.  Any help would be appreciated. Cheers Craig

Alex C

You need to update your PDF collection

The S2 box that has the round cover you can remove has the double plug    215769 and 59720

The S3 box is the one with the round area tat cannot be removed that one runs the 556570

The bit you are missing is 215769  Set Bolt 1/4 Inch Whitworth x 7/16 Inch
D90 200Tdi     67 S2a 88"