Disco 2 sunroof stuck open

Started by binch, July 28, 2022, 11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

Hey Gang,

We are having a bit of an issue with the controls on the 2003 discovery sunroof (front and back roofs).  Seems the control switched don't always want to work.   This is something for me to investigate later....  But for now I forgot that little detail and opened the rear sunroof, only to remember the switch issue as it got half way opened (they open fully/automatically with a flick of the overhead control switch for the front seat.   When I realized my mistake I tried to close it again only to have it stop half way closed.

Now normally I wouldn't fret about it too much but the forecast overnite is thunder showers.   So I did a bit of reading on google and learned there is an emergency manual override built into the system.  Clever lads, those Land Rover engineers ;-)    There is a small panel near each control switch (front and rear).  The little panel (about 1.5" but 0.75") can be pried off easily enough, and if you look up inside there is a small button size shaft end there with a 3/16" hole in it.   That hole is actually a small Allan key socket...!    If you put the appropriate size Allan key in there you can turn that button to either close or open the hatch manually.   Eazy Peazy!!!

With rain in the fore cast I closed the sunroof snuggly and will leave it closed until I have a chance to figure out what is going on there.

But here's hoping you can learn from my troubles ;-)

Happy travels
Cheers, Bill