Cypress Hills 2022

Started by JohnnyO, April 11, 2022, 07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyO

Would anyone be interested in a trip to Cypress Hills this summer?  I've camped there a few times on both Alberta and Saskatchewan sides.  Beautiful area and would like to see more of it.  Having grown up in Manitoba I just love the wide open spaces.  It might be the closest thing Southern Canada has to Mongolia.  We'd need input from the regulars of the area to get beta on the trails.  I was thinking of a 3-4 day weekend.  Camping is preferred but I'd stay in a place if I have to.  Accommodations might be a challenge this late but I'd be willing to do some digging around if anyone is interested.

Matt H

Seeing as I'm so close I'm in, depending on dates, but I'll at least be able to make it out for the day.

Zero services camping is the best bet as the park fills up quickly with family campers and their holiday trailers.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

I would be interested.  Probably would need to be May or July long weekend for me.

JohnnyO

Should I be looking for accommodations on the Alberta or Sask. side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red90

There is a big government campground.

JohnnyO

Haha, you are correct sir.  There are actually two big government campgrounds. One in Alberta and another one in Saskatchewn. I'd say we have a 50/50 chance of getting it right!

Red90

I think the big one in on the Saskatchewan side. They have a big group/overflow area where people can camp together.

Red90

Plus camping at an Alberta provincial park is nearly impossible.

binch

Saskatchewan side has always worked we for the club.....especially if it snows.....MAJOR FUN THEN!!!!!!
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Free firewood on Saskatchewan side too.
There's really not much 'wheeling' to be done but there are a few short hunting trails and backroads to some interesting places.

JohnnyO

Perfect. I'm much more of a 'overlander' than a hard core 4x4 mud bogger.

JohnnyO

The Cypress Hills plans are coming together for the July long weekend.  Arriving Thursday, June 30th – departing Sunday, July 3rd.  For those wishing to camp there are tenting and RV sites available at Willowbend Campground, in Maple Creek, SK.  This on the edge of town and close to amenities.  Maple Creek is ~30 kms from Cypress Hills Saskatchewan Interprovicial Park.

Call Joan & Darcy to book a site:

http://www.willowbendcampground.com/
(306) 662-3006

For meals, we can cook on our own/gather at someone's fire pit to eat.  If someone wants to come forward and organize a group dinner or something I'm all for it.

Willowbend will be our base camp for the weekend.  Group drives will be organized for Friday and Saturday.  There's always an option for a drive Sunday morning for those that are keen.  I'm hoping the Medicine Hat regulars will be around to give us some route ideas.

Let me know if you're interested.

Red90

I plan to be there, but doubt Thursday is possible.  Will plan to drive there Friday.

Matt H

I'm in.

I'll need to dig out my old maps and tax what is left of my memory but I'll do my best to come up with a few suggestions of places we can go. 

Matt H

I'm all booked in at the willow bend campground for the July long weekend. Looking forward to it.