mods making new def usable offroad

Started by binch, January 30, 2022, 11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

This is interesting.....spend a 'few' grand and you can make your new def practical off road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w91YybXt9do

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ9Nta5CKAc

But notice there still isn't a winch on the front  ???
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

It's nice to see the LR5 getting some off-road tweaks. Fitting the 35's is what's noteworthy, it adds a lot for that CO and UT terrain. You'd want to know you're approach and departure lines using the stock plastic armor though. Some rather important stuff on the other  side of it that is pretty much unprotected against any significant hits. Good to see sliders available for it.

Still a pretty pricey off-roader, but there is most definitely a (small) market for it. 
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Trevor

I just watched the second video. Wheeler Lake is a really nice trail. I've run it a few times, very beautiful up there. Odd line he took the LR5 up on the first attempt on v-notch. hehe, gotta like those Toyo MT's though, he was squatting a lot of that vehicle on the right rear :).

Liked watching the stock Bronco too, but good god that thing bings and bongs a lot!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

Quote from: binch on January 30, 2022, 11:50 PM
But notice there still isn't a winch on the front  ???

Do you not know the story?  It is a multi day job to install the winch.  The dealer cut a loom when installing a winch and they then had to write off the vehicle.

Anywho, they no longer have a Defender.

binch

LOL....no surprise there!    Do you remember when they bought their used disco 2?     

The winch package was an $18k package to buy and install.....if they don't cut that non replaceable wiring harness.

::)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

It appears a come-along would be a much more cost effective option for these then, albeit a tad more labor intensive.  :)
― George Orwell, 1984

DBrands

I can't argue with the factory winch solution's aesthetics though...
I mean it can't be concealed much better than this; Just don't ask me to work on it with you.

David B

1990 D90 - 200TDI

Trevor

The winch tray I had on my  range rover sport was a pretty good  design. They cut out a piece of the bumper and the winch tray and  carrier mounted. The approach angle wasn't changed much as a  result.

Mind you, I don't know if it has similar "write-off" level vulnerabilities with the mounting and tie in. I doubt it though as I never heard anything like this with the LR3's and RRS mounings.     
― George Orwell, 1984