what to do paint or galvanize 110 frame?

Started by camo388, September 11, 2015, 12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camo388

I went around to my local sand blaster/ painter and was given an estimate of $1200 to $1300 to sandblast and paint my 110 frame.  Paint was Endra EP2C, a 3 part epoxy.
Cost would be $2/300 lower if I went to an Industrial paint and primer and I could save even more $ if I applied top coat myself as I would have 30 days to do it.  Epoxy paint only has 24/ 30 hours between primer and top coat.  Estimate was based on 2 hours for sandblasting @ $150 per hour.  From what I've been told galvanizing is $600 to $700.  Again this needs sandblasting first and there may be other places that have cheaper rates.
So I would like to hear members opinions on either option or other options you may recommend I check into.

Thanks,  Bruce

Red90

You should not need to sand blast before galvanizing.  They acid bath the whole thing.  Blasting does give a nicer surface though to look at.  Bill will know.  They just had two frames done.

Paint is really not a lot of use as it only does the outside.  They usually rust from the inside out.  A "proper" painting would be an acid dip and then a paint dip to get the inside.  Not really practical unless you are in a factory.

Don't know about up there, but there is a DIY sandblasting place in Calgary.  $75 per hour with the full on industrial, eat the steel blasters..  If it took more than an hour, I would be very surprised.

headdamage

I've had a few frames galvanized at industrial galvanizing in Calgary over the years and you just drop it off and they take care of the sand blasting, dipping etc... At the end you pick up a beautiful shiny frame and put it all back together.   

ugly_90

I had a 110 chassis from Andrew blasted, perhaps it didn't need it, but it had mild surface rust at the rear, and the galvanizer was happy with it.

Bruce's 110 chassis is in such good shape that he could probably wire brush it with an angle grinder to get all the paint off. He has almost no surface rust, unlike some pitted steel of older chassis. His is a 1995, I think, which was never on the roads here.

I didn't see the Series 2A chassis, but it probably benefitted from the blasting. Every forty years, whether it needs it or not.. :)

camo388

Quote from: ugly_90 on September 12, 2015, 10:38 AM
His is a 1995, I think, which was never on the roads here.

Yes, it is a 1995.  From the Merlin report it was taken into service 17/01/95, on 15/05/95 went to 2 YORKS.  08/01/97 went to QM DEPT MNGB (UK) BLMF which translates to Quartermaster's Dept. of the Multi-National Brigade at the Banja Luka Metal Factory in FRY, (Former Republic of Yugoslavia). 
11/04/97 back to 2 YORKS.  06/01/98 went to 4 REGT AAC, (Regimental Army Air Corps).  9/03/99 transferred to BATUS, Quartermaster Technical.  10/04/03 was cast date. 
I bought it on 05/11/2009 from a fellow that had bought it at auction.  I have no idea where it was those 6 1/2 years.  In the bone yard soaking up the southern Alberta sun??
In any event as Adam says had not seen a lot of road travel, 88612 kms on speedo, and no sign of salt corrosion.  Some pitting from gravel but otherwise frame paint is intact.

binch

The galvanizing shops up here won't acid dip a painted frame here anymore.   They stopped doing it a couple of years ago.    But Craig's 88" frame was sandblasted for 150 bucks and then galvanized (with the galvanizer cleaning out the bush holes, cleaning off the shock posts, cleaning out the steering relay hole and cleaning the threaded holes in the frame) for 244 bucks.   Basically the whole thing was done for under 400bucks.  No brainer here!!!!!!!

get it done....it's cheaper and better then paint! ;)
Cheers, Bill

camo388

Quote from: binch on September 12, 2015, 10:29 PM
Basically the whole thing was done for under 400bucks.  No brainer here!!!!!!!

Bill I had been waiting for you to add your opinion.  And yes, now that I have some actual and recent $ figures, there is little doubt galvanizing is the way to go.
My next concern might be that I will attract thieves thinking the galvanized frame is plated silver Bling!  ;D ;D

Does Daam Galvanizing do it's own sand blasting?  Because I'll have to trailer the frame into the city, I won't save any money by having to make several trips to take frame to sandblaster then to be galvanized and third trip to pick up finished frame.  I expect that they would, but there are probably others out there considering galvanizing a frame / parts and would appreciate knowing all they can about the process.

Bruce

ugly_90

Bruce,

From what I was told, Daam does the blasting there also. In my case, I needed welding, so I took it to a combined blasting/weld shop beforehand. Looks like you're not saving anything in two stops, as you've got the welding covered.

As to the galvanized attracting theives, I think as long as there's no chicken bandits that moonlight in automotive, you should be fine out there :)

camo388

Quote from: ugly_90 on September 13, 2015, 01:50 PM
Bruce,
As to the galvanized attracting theives, I think as long as there's no chicken bandits that moonlight in automotive, you should be fine out there :)

::)  ;D

Red90

Bruce.  How can you live on an acreage and not own a sand blaster? ;D

binch

Dave was saying they will do the sandblasting too.    But I wasn't aware of that when I took it to them.   No idea what they charge....I think you'd have to ask them.    But in your case...one stop shopping would save a lot of time, money and running around. ;)
Cheers, Bill

camo388

Quote from: Red90 on September 13, 2015, 09:02 PM
Bruce.  How can you live on an acreage and not own a sand blaster? ;D

I train the chickens to only pick at one spot at a time.  Sadly their a bit hard to handle if I put too many on a big job, so I've got to take my time and use fewer birds.  ::)