winter camping

Started by binch, December 29, 2021, 12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

I've got something similar for my outfitters tent. They are really nice and kick out a goodly amount of heat. Good for cooking on too if you like.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

headdamage

I used to have an exmilitary Yukon stove, this one looks like it is based on it.

ugly_90

I have the Knico Trekker stove from the US. Its well made, and the legs fold up. The telescoping sections of stovepipe fit inside. I don't know if a full flat folding one would be any better for space, as the stove protects the stovepipes well. I use it in my canvas tent.

Its tricky to get a long lasting fire in there, as it isn't airtight or anything. There's likely an art of getting a "yule log" smouldering in there night-long, with the draft and damper set appropriately, but I haven't mastered it yet. We're limited around here to only Birch as a decent local hardwood. Maple or Oak might burn longer, dunno.

Either you get really good at a long burn fire in there somehow, or you sleep two in shifts to tend to the fire, otherwise its a cold night.

An alternative is an army diesel fuelled tent stove that runs off a jerry can, but that one is less environmental, and probably less safe.

headdamage

The Yukon stoves have a burner for diesel and petrol as well as being able to burn wood and coal, etc...