BC Preventing Registering of Military Vehicles?

Started by Red90, December 09, 2021, 08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red90

https://www.nsnews.com/driving/province-quietly-bans-ex-military-vehicles-west-van-collector-says-4839925?utm_source=Email_Share&utm_medium=Email_Share&utm_campaign=Email_Share

QuoteA bulletin issued from the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure's Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement Branch last month makes it clear to inspectors that they can no longer pass "non-conforming" ex-military vehicles that were "not designed to conform to the standards prescribed in the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) for motor vehicles designed for use on a highway at the time the vehicle was manufactured."

"A non-conforming ex-military vehicle can ONLY be inspected under MVAR Division 25 Part 1 if its licensed gross vehicle weight is greater than 8,200 kg. Even if a non-conforming ex-military vehicle passes inspection, it is not authorized for unrestricted highway use," the bulletin reads.

headdamage

That is crappy, those that are currently register can stay registered but no new ones? Guess I can't move to BC.

Just read the story and it sounds like even a registered unit can never pass inspection again and hence might have to come off of the road. Does this apply to military trailers to?

Red90

The sticking point is the "military vehicle" and how they make the decision it meets that criteria.  They allow imported vehicles without CMVSS or FMVSS labels, so it revolves around how they are defining "military".  Cover up the camo paint before going to the inspection station...

headdamage

I had been thinking of returning my 90 to a more original military appearance but I think I'll hold off on that idea incase this stupid spreads East.

Red90

Quote from: headdamage on December 09, 2021, 03:00 PM
.... but I think I'll hold off on that idea incase this stupid spreads East.

As you know the Alberta Dealer's Assoc has been trying to get RHD banned.  I'm shocked it has not happened yet.  I would not doubt to see it before the next election as a bone to their supporters.

ugly_90

I don't know if an ex-military landrover, other than a lightweight or perhaps a forward control that would really qualify as a military-only vehicle. I seem to think the FC might have had an industrial market at the time in the UK and elsewhere. Most series and defenders were also sold as civilian colours in dealership showrooms, mostly overseas.

I seem to think ICBC, the only insurer, may have their own rules as well.

Like the earlier trouble with registering RHD vehicles due to a few speedy drivers, i'm sure there's cases in BC of a few clowns showing up at dealers with blank cheques, buying whatever monster they can impress their friends with, hummer or otherwise.

I think there's a joke like this, "Why do Hummers never get flat tyres?".. I'll let you answer that one.

binch

What is the gross vehicle weight of our 110's...?    But it does sound a bit on the daft side doesn't it!?!?

And the dealers association's moto is "stop any import that may affect my sales!"  Not a surprise there at all ahhahahah
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: binch on December 09, 2021, 10:19 PM
What is the gross vehicle weight of our 110's...?    But it does sound a bit on the daft side doesn't it!?!?

My Camel is 6000 lbs dry with nothing in it (it's about 7200 lbs loaded for camping and with a co-pilot).

With the Camel kit and all the other extras I have on mine, it's a fatty. I would suspect a normal Defender would be around 5000 lbs dry.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

headdamage

My 90 is about 5500lbs wet but not loaded, it is very fat.

Red90

Quote from: binch on December 09, 2021, 10:19 PM
What is the gross vehicle weight of our 110's...?

GVWs some variations due to the suspension is came with.
90: 2400 to 2550 kg (5291 to 5622 lbs)
110: 2950 to 3050 kg (6503 to 6724 lbs).
130: 3500 kg (7716 lbs)

Kerb Weight = Unladen + full fuel + 75 kg driver  (All for TDIs station wagons)
90: 1797 kg (3961 lb)
110: 2064 kg (4550 lb)
130: 2086 kg (4598 lb)

Matt H

Back when I was in the Army, all British military vehicles used on public roads has to comply with minimum safety standards of the day it was built. That was way before abs and air bags etc though.

Yet another example of governments screwing things up for what can only be small number of enthusiasts to make a show of "doing something" for the public good.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

Yeah, governments lead with their collective stupidity...for all things, all the time.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!