Installing Power Steering in a Defender 90

Started by John M, November 14, 2021, 02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John M

Hello,
I need some help.  I am completing a conversion from the 2.5l diesel to the 300 TDI and wanted to install power steering.  Can anyone direct me or help me with what is require to complete the installation and the additional parts required.
Thanks in advance.

Red90

It will depend on the engine conversion.  If you are doing it like a stock 300TDI Defender, then just follow the parts catalog for those model years.  If it is not stock, then you will need to work out if stock hoses will fit or need to be modified based on the specific of how you did the conversion.

The steering boxes have become incredibly expensive.  Your only low cost solution will be a used one from a Discovery 1 at a junk yard.

3 hoses, reservoir, steering box.

John M

Thanks for responding.  I am doing a stock 300 TDI into a military defender. So I would need the steering box? What about a steering damper? 
If I was looking for a Discovery 1. What years were they built?

Red90

You should already have a steering damper. If not, you can put one on if you like.

The power steering box is quite different to the manual one.

Discovery 1 were 1994 to 1998.  Disco 2s started in 98 so be careful if looking at later ones. Of course this only works if you are left hand drive.

To my first point the hoses depend if you are putting the engine in the factory location or not. It is very different to a 2.5 NA.  It is much farther forward.