Lubricants

Started by GR8PMKN, October 22, 2021, 09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GR8PMKN

Just wondering what everyone is using for the following:

Main gearbox:Texaco MTF94. Is 75W 80 GL4 the same?
Transfer Gearbox: Texaco multi gear 75W 90R. What's the equivalent?
Final Drive: Molytex 90W EP. Is 80W 90 EP ok?

I tried searching this topic but couldn't find anything...

binch

ah...the question arises again.   Red90 put together a great bit of info on this.   Here's a link to his website with the gearbox lubricants.

http://www.red90.ca/rovers/MTF.htm
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Most people use Redline MTL for the gearbox. It is pretty easy to find. There are other options depending on use.

For the transfer case, axles and swivels any regular gear oil is fine. 80W-90 or 75W-90. Best to buy in 20 liter pails when on sale.

PS fluid, I like Mobil 1 ATF. It works better in the winter versus regular ATF and you can get it at any store.

GR8PMKN

Quote from: binch on October 22, 2021, 10:39 PM
ah...the question arises again.   Red90 put together a great bit of info on this.   Here's a link to his website with the gearbox lubricants.

Seem to be missing the link...  ???

GR8PMKN

Quote from: Red90 on October 23, 2021, 07:09 AM
Most people use Redline MTL for the gearbox. It is pretty easy to find. There are other options depending on use.

For the transfer case, axles and swivels any regular gear oil is fine. 80W-90 or 75W-90. Best to buy in 20 liter pails when on sale.

PS fluid, I like Mobil 1 ATF. It works better in the winter versus regular ATF and you can get it at any store.

Good advice, thank you!

Red90

Quote from: GR8PMKN on October 23, 2021, 10:21 AM
Seem to be missing the link...  ???

I fixed the link for Bill.

Ones that are locally available are below.  Most of the others listed are unique to other parts of the world.

These are good choices if you frequently starting dead cold below -20.
Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, 35.0/7.6
Redline D4 ATF, 70W-80,  34.0/7.5
Royal Purple Synchromax, 70W-80, 38.0/7.7

These are good all around choices for southern Alberta.
Amsoil MTF, 75W-80, 48.3/9.7
Redline MTL, 75W-80, 54.1/10.4

GR8PMKN

Wow!  Bill's site has a lot of information!  I'll have to admit that oils don't fall in my wheelhouse of knowledge.  All of the more common vehicles that I own (and have owned) are pretty easy, as whatever the manufacture recommends is easy to find here.  So I'm a bit nervous using alternatives to the recommended (for the Defender) because I don't know too much about oils, and I don't want to screw anything up.

I had a bad experience with my Rubicon last year - a shop replaced my gearbox oil with something slightly different than the manufacture recommended (they said it was essentially the same thing and won't be a problem), and man oh man... HA did that screw up my gear shifts in the cold.  It was awful until the gearbox warmed up.  They were nice enough to order the right stuff and replace it for me for free and it went back to normal.  Hence why I'm slightly nervous about using alternatives in the Defender.

That's why I'm here though, I want to learn from the experience of the local owners.  I don't plan on driving it in the extreme cold, unless there are some extenuating circumstances.  The plan is to park it over the winter like last year (I don't want the salt and stone chips).

So for the differentials, are you guys using EP rated oil?

Red90

Any regular gear oil will do for the axles.  They all have EP additives. These axles don't fail from wear so there is no need for any special lubricants. The most important thing is to keep the dirt put. Make sure the breathers are clean and the seals are not leaking.

binch

Quote from: GR8PMKN on October 23, 2021, 11:43 AM
Wow!  Bill's site has a lot of information! 

hold on there......I take no credit for all that great info.    That's all John's doing!  He's da man that did all that work for us.      I just try to remember for my next oil change  ;D
Cheers, Bill