Garage Floor Coatings

Started by SpeedyJ, September 06, 2021, 04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpeedyJ

Hello all,

Does anyone here have any experience or recommendations on garage floor coatings? It looks like it's rather expensive to get a contractor to do a two-part epoxy floor.

Has anyone gone the DIY route? How'd it go? Would you do it again? What product did you use? Cost?

I have upwards of 750sq/ft to do. The goal is to make it easier to clean (i.e. leaky Land Rovers) and make it generally more pleasant when I have to work on the floor. The garage is less then 2 years old, it's been used for parking and storage, but not mechanical work, so it's not uncontaminated, but it's not too nasty either.

TIA

-Jeff

ugly_90

Jeff, I think your goals might be a bit off there.

If it's bare concrete now, then a sealant/epoxy can be applied to keep dust down, which will be generated from the bare concrete.

However, be careful to keep traction up on a garage floor. Many sealants can create a smooth surface, which can be very slippery and dangerous with mud, oil, water or a mix of all three! Find a sealant that leaves a bit of traction. This will be inherently a bit harder to clean than a smooth surface, but much safer.

I have regular concrete paint in my garage floor. That's a fail, don't do that, it's at least half worn.

DBrands

I would suggest heading over to Garage Journal, they have an entire forum for flooring and you'll get a broad spectrum of experiences, good and bad.

I certainly don't have a coated floor, and have yet to meet a Land Rover owner with one either!  ;D

David B

1990 D90 - 200TDI

SpeedyJ

GJ - That's a good idea. I'll have look over there.

Thanks for the floor paint comment, I'd thought about that, but that confirms what I was thinking.

We're potentially buying a house with a half decent heated garage so one of the goals here is to have a nice place to work - someplace pleasant. as opposed to my current cold, dark, cramped workshop.

I won't lie, I've owned Toyotas as well, so this might be coming from that side of my brain.

Thx!

binch

Sorry guys.....But I've been using concrete sealers on my Exposed aggregate driveway for the past 35 years.   Because of the wear it takes from weather and traffic it gets redone every 3 or 4 years.   I use the gloss UNISHEEN product by unicrete https://unicon.ca/unicon-concrete-sealers/.   The drive way is 20' wide by 60' long and the front steps are the same.    I use the same stuff in the garage every 10 years or so to help protect it from the Shiite the city's been putting down in the winter.

The stuff is slippery when it's new and wet so don't make any sudden turns when you run on it (experience speaking here).   But I have no trouble with it, and my creeper and floor jacks fly over it (when it's been swept).  One 19 litre pail does the trick.   And takes me about 5 hours to pressure wash and coat (total time allowing for the concrete to dry completely.)

Cheers, Bill

bumpydormobile

Bill...I have known you since 2005 and yet to see you make any sudden moves...:)

binch

LOL.....Once in a rental cottage in the Eastern Highlands of Zimbabwe I ran across a dusty, coated concrete floor in a pair of leather sandals.  And again  running to the mail box and lost it at the end of my driveway rounding onto the sidewalk.   "OUT ON FIRST!!!!"

oh yeah.....if you didn't already know.....cured concrete is HARD!!!!!!!

;D
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Quote from: bumpydormobile on September 08, 2021, 04:38 PM
Bill...I have known you since 2005 and yet to see you make any sudden moves...:)

;D  That just made my day!
No Road Except For Land-Rover.