Time for another episode of "Name That Squeak!"

Started by Trevor, April 09, 2021, 03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

Yes kiddies, it's time again for another fun filled episode of...

Name that Squeak!!!

In my '98 Defender I've got an annoying squeak/squeal coming from the rear of the vehicle. Here's a rundown of when it happens, and what I've checked so far.

When It happens:

--It occurs only when I do not have my foot on the gas
--It is much more frequent when in gear, at slower speeds (3rd gear and lower). I have not heard it at high speeds under any circumstances
--It is cyclical...that is to say it sounds as if it is a result of a rotational rubbing
--Brakes have no effect on it. Nor do i suspect at all that it is the brakes as they preform fine, don't squeal, rotors are unmarked
--at very low speeds (coming to a stop) it is much slower in frequency (again, being a rotational type squeal), but also much louder and almost with a grinding edge to it sometimes.
-- It will not happen all the time. It is getting more frequent now, but it is not happening all the time under similar circumstances.

What I've checked and other tidbits:

--I originally thought it might have been the rear diff guard rubbing somehow. Since the guard was actually a bit loose it needed addressing anyway, so I removed the guard entirely. No sign of rubbing anywhere though.

-- All u-joints look really good, no play at all anywhere, no visible signs of trouble. Driveshaft u-joints are 2 years old, propshaft are 1 year old. That said, it does NOT have the rather distinct chirp of a failing u-joint. It sounds much more metal-on-metal than that.

--rear shocks are new last year. I double checked and everything is snug with both

--Everything related to the brakes has been visually inspected, no wear on rotors, everything is tight and in place

--The rear bushes seem fine, although would a failure with one/all of them cause a rotational grinding noise? I would think they would cause "clunking" as things shift under load

-- I replaced the rear wheel bearings late last year. I have not pulled them apart again to check if all is good there, however after a few long test drives the hubs are not heating up at all.

-- It sounds like its coming from the rear of the vehicle. However, it's always tough to tell when you are driving. Definitely not coming from the front though.

-- Just to be sure double checked all fluid levels in everything with gears...all are good.

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

Parking brake?  Pull on it and see if it affects the noise.

Or just turn up the radio.

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on April 09, 2021, 04:27 PM
Parking brake?  Pull on it and see if it affects the noise.

Or just turn up the radio.

I'll give the parking brake a try. hadn't thought of that.

The stereo does indeed fix it though. Makes the sound go away completely!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

"Name that squeak" the ever popular Land Rover game. Who needs podcasts?

My first thought was park brake too.

If not then perhaps a failing rear pinion or differential carrier bearing??
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

rutmaster

Have you checked the rear suspension ball joint (the one above the diff)

Trevor

Went for a test drive and applying the park brake does cause the noise to stop, whereas just braking generally does not. So we may have a winner there. I'll dig into that this week as I've got the rear seal t-case seal fix to do as well.

Since the driveshaft will be coming off I'll have a closer look at the rear diff. If it is a failing pinion or carrier bearing I should see some play on that output shaft, no?

I did visually inspect the rear suspension ball joint, and did some jumping up and down on the rear to see if there was any clunking. All seems fine there. No obvious signs of wear or destruction on the ball joint itself. So I can't see anything obvious there.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

Yes. The diff pinion should not have any play. The transfer case flange will have a bit of play.

Is your parking brake the earlier level style or the later direct cable style?

Trevor

That I'm not sure. It's a '98 if that helps. There is a large cable running into the bottom of the assembly. Or I always assumed it was the cable from the hand brake as it is sheathed in a pretty solid plastic exterior.
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90