Sound deadening material

Started by bumpydormobile, January 17, 2021, 04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bumpydormobile

Hey gang
In anticipation of getting my truck back sometime soon, I'm searching for thoughts on a good sound deadening material or any other ideas to help keep the cockpit bearable without wearing noise canceling headphones!  I have checked out Kilmat and Noico on Amazon, id that the best place for this stuff?

Cheers
David

camo388

There is B- Quiet sound proofing.  I believe they were out of Lethbridge.  Bill used some of this in his 110.

binch

I used the the B-quiet the first go around but they have now become very popular AND very expensive.   For the RRC project I bought a bunch of the Noico 80mil and it seems to install just as easily and is just as messy!    The B-quiet was twice the price and came in a 50' x 12" roll.   The Noico came in box with a dozen sheets of 2' x 3' (folded in half).   It's a work out installing it with the roller but the sheets were very easy to work with and cut to fit.  In the 110 I installed it on the inside of my doors and on the inside of the outer footwell panel too.    But I have a full neoprene sound deadening kit installed over the seat box, tunnel, footwells and lower bulkhead.   That does a good job too.   But I really should put some in the box in the back too.   ;)

Originally the cab side of the bulkhead was lined with a thick sound absorbing, insulation type material (about 10mm thick).    It was in such bad shape I pulled it all and installed an 11mm thick closed cell foam material I bought on amazon too.    It was much less of a mess to work with then the black bitchimum stuff.   

I have a steel roller you can borrow for the job if you like.     

Cheers, Bill

camo388

bumpydormobile

Thanks guys
some good advise there.
Bill I will take you up on that offer when the time comes.

GR8PMKN

This is great.  I am planning making the 130 as quiet inside as possible, so I'll be following this thread and researching as well.  Let us know if you find anything new!

binch

The original molded acoustic matting system for the series and defenders is made by Wright off road in the UK (also sold through Britpart).   I installed this in the cab of my 3 door, and it works brilliantly.   I paid top dollar for it but it works great, covering the foot wells tunnel with one piece, the fuse panel area with another, and the seat box with another.  All the while maintaining my access to the cubby boxes under the seats and the tranny tunnel.   And from what I hear they are making a matting material for the cargo area now too.

http://www.wrightoffroad.com/products.htm

Similar systems are sold through Exmoor trim/Bearmach
https://www.roverparts.com/interior-accessories/mats/EXT009-12BK/

Really easy to clean out too ;D
Cheers, Bill

GR8PMKN

I wonder if you were to put the sound deadening tiles (like "Kilmat") down, would that Write Offroad system fit over it nicely?  I got a quote from him:

"Cost would be £310 GBP for the system plus £220 for shipping 32kgs, I'll give you the kick panels."

What are the "kick panels"?

Red90

In a stock truck they are carboard panels that sit off of the bulkhead in front of your feet.

binch

I thought the "kick panels" were the panels on the outer side of the foot wells.    The wrightoffroad ones are rubber/neoprene material.

You can put butal type sound deadening on, and it can only make it better.  But I don't think it's thick enough to affect the fitment of the wright offroad kit.    But one thing I would recommend is to spray a good coat of wax oil all over the inner foot wells and where the seat box meats the floor/side rails.    You will get some water trapping between the underside of the neoprene and the inner metal.

That said....just air it out but throwing a roll of duct tape or a piece of 2x4 under the matt to let the air in every now and then ;-)
Cheers, Bill

GR8PMKN

That's funny about the 2x4s, as I've had this truck less than a month and I've been doing exactly that to dry out that foam under the stock mats.  I was told they were wet cuz the previous owner washed the truck before I got it, but I guess time will tell if/how much it leaks in the rain!  Either way, I'm still considering the best way to make it quiet.  I think maybe the tiles, then that system (it looks nice), or maybe tiles then sound foam, then the factory mats.  But like you say, the water is definitely a consideration, as I don't want a moldy truck.

binch

hahaahah  water inside....it's what they do  ;D

Those 'kick panels' are responsible for a LOT of noise so put two layers of the butyl  stuff on each side.

You can buy rubber matting for horse trailers to put down in the cargo area too.

You might want to visit with Red90 as his 90 is well insulated for temperature and sound.   A very good example.   But in the end....it's a diesel powered defender and not ment to be quiet LOL   ;)

Cheers, Bill

Already a Rover

Hi - are you still looking for advice?  Try Sounddeadenershowdown.com and their CLD tiles.  I did my S2a, so can provide some info.

Jim

bumpydormobile

thanks Jim I will look into that.

spartree

I picked up NK Group's full 110 kit. Hasn't been installed yet, but looks like good stuff. Planning to put a base layer of Kilmat down as well.

https://www.nkgroup.co.uk/product/full-land-rover-soundproofing-kit/
E Silva Surrexi