Project COPART Kalahari

Started by Lukester, January 16, 2021, 06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lukester

Can't wait to get it back as a daily driver ! Although my company has me working from home since LAST March so likely not many kilometers to be driven !

bumpydormobile

Hello
I'm not sure if you are aware of how inaccurate the temperature gauge is on a Disco.  It's been said on forums that if the gauge gets up to the red area you may have all ready cooked your motor.  I bought one of these for piece of mind and it's quite nice.  It will give you 3 options to display at once. I have the main screen as Speedo and them engine coolant temp on one and battery on the other.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07H7H4L3B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

B-Red

Nice console centre to check on vehicle performances. I was reading their info and it points to 2004 and newer. Does it work on Disco 2 From 99-2003?

As for the three amigos, one good check is to clean the grounding points in the vehicle. The Rav manual identifies them. This would clean the power flow through the vehicle.

As for engine performance, I found that oil changes every 5000 km really kept the engine in good shape.

Good luck with your project.

Lukester

Thank you to both bumpydormobile and to B-Red ! I will look into that sensor, I have had the red light come on one of my P38's and stopped immediately but there was very little warning and if I had been on a highway it might have cooked the aluminum block ! My research has said the same thing, the seconds between red light and max Temp is extremely close and does give you ample warning, A proper temp gauge would save this from happening ! I also like to stay close to the 5,000km or 6 months for the oil and filter change. Hoping to actually pick it up this upcoming week ( March 8th week) to bring it back to Calgary and being some minor fixes on the interior !

bumpydormobile

Emad
I can't speak to other years but it works fine on mine. you are welcome to try mine for a week and see if you like it.

David

Oliver Klosov

So Many Amigos!

My D110 is in with Sportscar Centre at this very moment for ( amongst other things) an exorcism of the two unwelcome Amigos that have been partying in my instrument panel for the past nine months. That's right, Defenders only get two of the Amigos. Not as popular as the Disco crowd I suppose...

B-Red

Quote from: Oliver Klosov on March 11, 2021, 08:02 AM
So Many Amigos!

My D110 is in with Sportscar Centre at this very moment for ( amongst other things) an exorcism of the two unwelcome Amigos that have been partying in my instrument panel for the past nine months. That's right, Defenders only get two of the Amigos. Not as popular as the Disco crowd I suppose...

I don't have this problem with my Defender. Must be the old age!

Lukester

Well I went up north and picked up my COPART Kalahari from Bert at Sportscar Center and he did as promised, He installed the two front hub assemblies, did the Shuttle valve bypass (suggested by others but I may have the proper term incorrect) and the Three Amigos are Adios !

The front springs were changed out and that actually straightened out the steering a bit for the drive home, also changed the pads and rotors. Drove it to the gas station, added premium and put some Seafoam injector cleaner in for the drive back to Calgary and away I went! Drove much better, handled much better and performed much better ! Thank you to the folks at the shop, they did a great job. Once home I cleaned the engine bay and gave the outside a good wash and will be moving on to the last few bits before the salvage inspection getting done (windshield / washer reservoir and jet replacements) and a power window motor on the driver side then all done. Coming along nicely!

Lukester

Lukester

bumpydormobile

Looking at your engine bay I see the hydraulic jack, you should give it a test.  I pulled mine out one day to use it an the fluid had all leaked out!
Nice looking rig. Glad your three friends are gone.

David

Lukester

Thanks David, and your idea is a good one!

Will check the jack first thing tonight. I do have a spare from another P38 that I scavenged bits from if this one does not hold!

Rob