shipping 1998 right-hand drive from Overseas

Started by Randy, November 25, 2020, 06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

hi there fellow enthusiasts

I am a Canadian planning to move back from South Africa to Edmonton Alberta.

I am hoping to bring my 1998 (22 year old) right-hand drive Land Rover Defender 110TDi with me.  I am having trouble finding any reliable information as to whether or not this is possible.

Can any of you please offer any advice??

Many thanks and kind regards from sunny South Africa
Randy

Red90

There should be no issues.  Any vehicle 15 years old can be imported with no restrictions.  Here is the government page.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transportation/importing-vehicle/importing-older-vehicles-canada

Make sure it is professionally cleaned and you have proof.  Some ports like to run a bit of a scam forcing expensive cleanings and you need to do your best to avoid the problem.

After it is imported, you need to insure it and then get an out of province inspection. For Edmonton, you are probably best going to the Sports Car Centre, https://www.sportscarcentre.ca/

Also, the import should be duty and tax free as long as you can show ownership for six months or more.  See here for details.  https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/mrc-drc-eng.html

Randy

great info Red.. thanks

I'll checkout the links you sent.  I am hoping to send my Landy on a 20ft container with household goods.. do you think that'll be okay so long as the proof of professional cleaning is provided?

binch

Quote from: Randy on November 25, 2020, 07:14 AM
great info Red.. thanks

I'll checkout the links you sent.  I am hoping to send my Landy on a 20ft container with household goods.. do you think that'll be okay so long as the proof of professional cleaning is provided?

Get all your ducks in a row (paper work) and document EVERYTHING in the seacan!    And pay the extra couple hundred for the insurance (it saved my bacon when I brought the RRC over from the UK).   Photos of the vehicle before you put it in the seacan ;-)

You can save a bit of money doing arranging everything.  OR  You can get a mover to send your stuff (vehicle included) for you, with door to door service pickup and delivery.    You pay more but have fewer headaches ;-)     It all depends on what kind of adventure you are interested in LOL

When are you planning to move your container?
Cheers, Bill

Randy

more great information ...thanks binch

I am hoping to send the Landy on a 20ft container with household goods from Johannesburg South Africa straight through to Edmonton some time early January 2021 with a local shipping/moving company. Is that considered door-to-door service? Do you happen to know if the authorities check the container at the port.. or when it arrives in Edmonton.

Moving companies here don't seem to know the exact details for vehicle shipment into Canada; and, I don't know anything about shipping logistics... so, I really really appreciate you guys on this forum sharing such great info. It seems that all the "official information" on the Canadian government websites is so wordy and unnecessarily ambiguous!  I've had my Defender since 2006.. of course, it's part of the family; I'd hate to have to leave it behind :(

binch

You'd have to read the fine print of you moving contract, but if they are movers I would assume they would be "packing you and and unpacking at the new home"   But the devil is in the details ;-)   

The container will be moved to the customs ware house and inspected at the port it lands in unless it's bonded by the movers for inspection inland.   But I would expect they will unload it at the port of entry at a secure warehouse and do their inspection then.    Your movers should have all these details locked up I would think.
Cheers, Bill

Lukester

I've imported half a dozen cars before but always from the US. You should check out the website for the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV). They have pretty simple instructions on importing and you will require one of their stickers to register the vehicle (I believe) it's wa Saab out a $200 can fee each time, and I had to do an out of province / country) inspection. Did all of mine at Canadian. tire in Calgary. Good luck!👍

Trevor

Quote from: Lukester on November 28, 2020, 07:27 PM
I've imported half a dozen cars before but always from the US. You should check out the website for the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV). They have pretty simple instructions on importing and you will require one of their stickers to register the vehicle (I believe) it's wa Saab out a $200 can fee each time, and I had to do an out of province / country) inspection. Did all of mine at Canadian. tire in Calgary. Good luck!👍

Actually RIV only applies for vehicles originally made/imported into North America. It's a NAFTA phenomenon. My 98 Defender, as an example, that i brought over from the UK did not require a RIV sticker.

My 2004 D2 that I brought up from the US, and was in fact a Us sold vehicle, did require a RIV.

The RIV process (importing from the US) is different from an international import.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Quote from: Lukester on November 28, 2020, 07:27 PM
Did all of mine at Canadian. tire in Calgary. Good luck!👍

I would not recommend Canadian Tire (aka Crappy Tire) for your out of province inspection.   From past experience they just don't know Defenders.   Use Sports Car Centre in Edmonton.....they know defenders ;)

Cheers, Bill

Lukester

That is good to know, some of mine were originally built in Germany then sold first time in the US. I did not know that RIV did not apply for out of North American import! 👍

Randy

If i don't need RIV for a 1998 imported from South Africa.. do any of you happen to know if there are other online forms required/recommended to accompany the vehicle when shipped in a container with household goods?

thanks again for all the great info ..you guys are the best!!!