Different rims side by side

Started by headdamage, August 04, 2020, 09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headdamage

RRC three spoke vs Disco steel vs Wolf:

binch

what are the differences in weights between the three wheels?   I know my exmod steel rims are quite a bit lighter then my wolf rims.   But the wolf rims are quite substantial ;)
Cheers, Bill

headdamage

I took some measurements that I'll add later. The Wolf feel a bit heavier than the Disco steels though not much, the alloy is much lighter.

I've got a set of good used 235/85r16 Duratrac tires and I'm trying to decide if I'll put them on the Wolf or Disco rims. Thinking of using them on both the 90 and the RRC depending on the trip.

headdamage

Total width     Inside width     Front space     Back space
Alloy 3 spoke     208mm          178mm            71mm            138mm
Disco 1 steel      206mm          178mm            67mm            138mm
Wolf steel          194mm          165mm            78mm            116mm       

Trevor

I ran the Disco steels on mine for many years, they're really solid. What I was especially impressed with was their ability to maintain a bead seal at low pressure and (excessive) distortion on the tire. Many times in Moab I'd be up on one or two tires, running at 10 - 12 psi, and the seal would hold.

I would have kept running them but I needed an offset on the rim to run 35's. Excellent rim though.

I also think they just look better than the aluminum too. Rugged.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

headdamage

Used the Princess Auto tire machine to demount two tires and then mount 6 good used Duratrac 235/85r16 tires on Disco 1 steel rims today. Likely would have cost around $200 at a tire shop.

20200807_193425 by A H, on Flickr

Matt H

I used to have one of those PA tire changers. I sold it as it was way too much like hard work! That must have been one heck of a workout?
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

headdamage

I sweat enough doing it that I could use it as tire lube.

binch

Cheers, Bill