Lug - stud protection

Started by brendan leier, July 20, 2020, 11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendan leier

Is there a recommended treatment for new bare metal studs and lugs?  Thanks gents!

headdamage

I like copperslip depending on the threaded item in question.

Matt H

Fluid Film. It's sticky so it attracts dust in the warmer months and needs to be reapplied every now and again but it works really well. Works great for wire winch rope too if you have it.
Came out of the marine industry if I'm not mistaken?
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

brendan leier

Alex C

if you apply compounds to bolted joints, studs nuts etc, it will change the coefficient of friction, this can lead to over torquing and faster working loose

i.e if you add copper slip to wheel studs and apply correct torque, you have a good chance of taking the stud into yield.

Thread lock also changes friction coefficient but not the same amount as copper slip, graphite, moly etc

Good practice with new or cleaned fasteners is a light coating of clean engine oil. a lot of modern fasteners now have zinc coatings to prevent corrosion. if applying a compound, thread-lock, sealant etc read the instructions.

D90 200Tdi     67 S2a 88"

brendan leier

I just assume now that every part from the uk is fated to rust as soon as it touches my truck.  Brit Part paint might even be felt marker!

Matt H

Quote from: Alex C on July 21, 2020, 09:44 PM
if you apply compounds to bolted joints, studs nuts etc, it will change the coefficient of friction, this can lead to over torquing and faster working loose

i.e if you add copper slip to wheel studs and apply correct torque, you have a good chance of taking the stud into yield.

Thread lock also changes friction coefficient but not the same amount as copper slip, graphite, moly etc

Good practice with new or cleaned fasteners is a light coating of clean engine oil. a lot of modern fasteners now have zinc coatings to prevent corrosion. if applying a compound, thread-lock, sealant etc read the instructions.

Most wheel nuts torque specs take light oil lubrication into account.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

ugly_90

This is a response from  " Practical Classics " Magazine, March 2020.

Practical Classics is excellent, with far more technical info in there than the current landrover rags. About 1 in 4 "Practical Classics" is worth bringing home from the store, and some of the Chapters in Edmonton used to carry it.

Another article references an answer "should we lubricate our nuts? " in the experts column of September 2019 PC, but I don't have that issue. Light oil seemed the consensus for lug nuts from PC.