Soft tops?

Started by headdamage, August 02, 2020, 11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

headdamage

What do you guys thing of running a soft top on your rover? I used to put one on my 88 for the summer back when my back was up to lifting the whole roof off in one piece. My last soft top was on my exmil 109 in 1995 before witching to a hardtop due to it being my daily driver.

Currently my 90 is my fun truck and I try not to use it in the winter unless going wheeling. I've been considering going back to a soft top to save weight and to make it more fun in the summer. Any thoughts on this?

Matt H

I saw a sticker on a late model Jeep the other day that read "Both my Wife and my Jeep are lots more fun topless".

Had to laugh.

I'd say go for it. I miss my old Series 3 that I ran with no roof or door tops at all. What a blast. I've actually found a well fitted tilt to be warmer and quieter that the oil can effect some Hardtops can have.

I'm hoping to be building a 88" Series 2 next year that will ditch its current SW hard top for a full canvas tilt. My LWT still has its tilt and I used to roll up the sides every chance I got but sadly I've not driven it in years.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Rambler

Lots of fun, especially minus the door tops and with the sides and rear rolled up  ;)

1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

binch

I'm thinking of the same thing Andrew!

Dave L. says it's quieter then with the wagon top on but I don't know.    But I sure like the idea of putting the full canvas tilt on it, just to see what it's like.   ;)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

I've seen quite a few topless rigs running around the last few weeks. Those that have them certainly seem to enjoy them!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!