New Member / Importing Questions / Which 110 to buy??

Started by GR8PMKN, June 16, 2020, 06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly_90

I think as you are starting out, and as others have eluded to, it may be best to clearly define for yourself what you want to get out of the vehicle ownership.

As you might know, a vehicle is almost always an expense. There are some exceptions to that, but usually it's like driving around with your wallet out the window. As the saying goes, " if it's got tits or tyres, it's going to cost you ". I've spent plenty of money on both, I can assure you.  ;)

If you're over 6'2 tall and looking for a tow truck for your large boat or large holiday trailer, I can't think of a stock 90/110 hardtop that is a good fit for that role.

The LR group generally keeps away from owning Toyota LC's, with some exceptions. The Toyota groups I've dealt with tend to hold their nose near a Land Rover too. I don't think a wrench cares much where the bolt was made, to be honest with you.

The two groups tend to attract different types of buyers. For the older LR's, the buyers are generally older and also more handy people. From what I have seen, many Toyota LC buyers may be younger, some may not be as hands-on, but not all.

I've heard it said once that the reason why there are so many different types of tyres is that there are many different types of buyers. In some ways like specialty dog food, made special and organic for the owner buying it, rather than for the dog.

A 90/110 may be the answer to your analysis, I don't know. If you're looking for a high-maintenance vehicle, easy to work on, with low OEM/aftermarket parts cost and little extensive steel body welding, maybe it's the choice for you. There are other competing makes out there to try as well, some at much lower initial cost than a 90/110.

AdamCulligan

Hey GR8PMKN!

I might be the local 110 TD5 owner that Res90
Is referring to. Happy to have you over for a check around once regulations permit? I also bought and imported mine from the UK (we were living there and it's my souvenir).

I have stories, some advice and a few little tips. Let's chat!

GR8PMKN

Quote from: ugly_90 on June 17, 2020, 03:24 PM
I think as you are starting out, and as others have eluded to, it may be best to clearly define for yourself what you want to get out of the vehicle ownership.

As you might know, a vehicle is almost always an expense. There are some exceptions to that, but usually it's like driving around with your wallet out the window. As the saying goes, " if it's got tits or tyres, it's going to cost you ". I've spent plenty of money on both, I can assure you.  ;)

If you're over 6'2 tall and looking for a tow truck for your large boat or large holiday trailer, I can't think of a stock 90/110 hardtop that is a good fit for that role.

The LR group generally keeps away from owning Toyota LC's, with some exceptions. The Toyota groups I've dealt with tend to hold their nose near a Land Rover too. I don't think a wrench cares much where the bolt was made, to be honest with you.

The two groups tend to attract different types of buyers. For the older LR's, the buyers are generally older and also more handy people. From what I have seen, many Toyota LC buyers may be younger, some may not be as hands-on, but not all.

I've heard it said once that the reason why there are so many different types of tyres is that there are many different types of buyers. In some ways like specialty dog food, made special and organic for the owner buying it, rather than for the dog.

A 90/110 may be the answer to your analysis, I don't know. If you're looking for a high-maintenance vehicle, easy to work on, with low OEM/aftermarket parts cost and little extensive steel body welding, maybe it's the choice for you. There are other competing makes out there to try as well, some at much lower initial cost than a 90/110.

Thanks for the advice!  I appreciate everyone making me go through the thought process on whether or not I should own one at all!  I mean, in all practicality, I already have a perfectly functioning Rubicon that takes me where I need to go and is comfortable and practical, and the A/C and heater work, which is more than I can say about my AM/FM radio  ;) etc. etc.  Do I NEED a Defender?  Of course not.  Do I WANT one?  Yes.  First world problems here...  :)

I still want to take your (everyone's) advice and sit in one again and go through it with an owner with all the pros and cons (@AdamCulligan?).  It's either I decide to get one, or I don't, period.  I'm not looking for another vehicle option.  I already have the other option!  haha  What I'm trying to decide is which Defender model/engine to get and why.  I'm not afraid to turn a wrench.  I have other vehicles to use if that one is in pieces in my garage (like my Jeep is right now).  My plan would be to use it for my dream of overlanding/exploring with it.  I don't have a trailer or any intention of getting one, but if I ever got one it'd likely be little.  I'd like to take the Defender everywhere, keep it forever, and probably have it parked in the garage over the winters (like my convertible and motorbike).  If I buy one, I do want it to be a good one.  I want it to last.  I want to learn the ins and outs of it and be comfortable knowing how everything works.

Have you guys seen the The Crazy Hot Matrix on YouTube? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbpGkrViOcE  If not, it's a funny watch.  If you haven't seen it, it's referring to girls.  The vertical side of the chart is how crazy they are, and the horizontal axis is how hot they are.  I think for vehicles "crazy" could be replaced with unreliable/maintenance-heavy, and "hot" could be replaced with desirable vehicle.  Where do you think a Defender fits on the chart??  ;)

GR8PMKN

Quote from: AdamCulligan on June 17, 2020, 05:28 PM
Hey GR8PMKN!

I might be the local 110 TD5 owner that Res90
Is referring to. Happy to have you over for a check around once regulations permit? I also bought and imported mine from the UK (we were living there and it's my souvenir).

I have stories, some advice and a few little tips. Let's chat!

YES PLEASE!!  I'm sure I would learn a LOT from you.  There's a guy in Bragg Creek that's selling a restored 1995 300TDi, and he said that he'd have me over soonish to check it out too.  Sounds like someone from the US has a deposit on it.  That's ok, I'm not ready yet, plus it's expensive.  I just want to look.  You guys might know him.

Red90

Quote from: GR8PMKN on June 17, 2020, 09:59 PM
There's a guy in Bragg Creek that's selling a restored 1995 300TDi, and he said that he'd have me over soonish to check it out too.  Sounds like someone from the US has a deposit on it.  That's ok, I'm not ready yet, plus it's expensive.  I just want to look.  You guys might know him.

This one? https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/restored-1995-land-rover-defender-110-300-tdi-turbo-diesel/1503078446

Expensive is an understatement. Be cautious with a lot of the very high asking prices you see these days. Most people are getting trucks for sane and realistic prices. He can't technically sell that to the US, so the buyer would be taking a big chance.

binch

Beware the vehicle that was "rebuilt in the UK"  as you can get either good work or REALLY crappy work, as we've seen this many times before.   There are good, reputable shops there.....but there are way more that just want to put "lipstick on the pig" and sell it.   Once it leaves the UK they have no care for what happens and you have little recourse.
Cheers, Bill

GR8PMKN

Yes, that's the one. Looking on Kijiji and Autotrader, it appears that the condition of defender I'm looking for seems to hover around the $50k range. Is that still way too much in your opinion?  I'm asking honestly.  I mean, I think it's too much, but it is what it is.  What I want to avoid is spending more to bring one up to spec, than I would have just buying one that is already up to spec.  Know what I mean?  I'm trying to learn where that cost line is drawn.

GR8PMKN

Quote from: binch on June 18, 2020, 08:52 AM
Beware the vehicle that was "rebuilt in the UK"  as you can get either good work or REALLY crappy work, as we've seen this many times before.   There are good, reputable shops there.....but there are way more that just want to put "lipstick on the pig" and sell it.   Once it leaves the UK they have no care for what happens and you have little recourse.

I'll have to compile a list of good ones.  Do you have any off the top of your head?

Red90

IMO, yes.  A LHD 300TDI 110 in good, but unrestored condition is in the low 20s.  This one with a galv chassis and rebuilt engine is worth more. $30k would be reasonable (to me) Add 5k for a TD5. Drop 5k for RHD. No 15 year old Defender is worth $50k.  NAS trucks fetch a premium, but that is a special case.

Basically, figure out what it would cost to get one in Europe and add $5k for shipping plus a little for it being here.

Just be careful looking them over.  With the aluminum skins, they can appear nice but be a pile of rust in all of the hard to see areas.  Don't let people convince you that the steering is always loose and the brakes crappy.  They should not be.

GR8PMKN

Ok, now we're talking. That range is much more reasonable.  Thank you for that. So it seems that the importers (stealerships) are adding about $20k-ish and all the private sellers are following.

But now I'm back to the issue of going to Europe to find one, or through a reputable shop over there that's had a look for me.  Or I can start low-balling the Canadian sellers...

I'm thankful for everyone's advice.

AdamCulligan

[/quote]

YES PLEASE!!  I'm sure I would learn a LOT from you.  There's a guy in Bragg Creek that's selling a restored 1995 300TDi, and he said that he'd have me over soonish to check it out too.  Sounds like someone from the US has a deposit on it.  That's ok, I'm not ready yet, plus it's expensive.  I just want to look.  You guys might know him.
[/quote]

Sounds good! I don't know the guy who is selling, but through other connections I heard about John Holt and was advised by someone I trust that they do sound work - not to say $70K is the right price, but it is also very likely the truck is in excellent shape.

I bought mine in the UK and was duped...only paid around $8k and around $6K to get it into the driveway...but ended up having to replace the chassis...UGH. A few folks on here helped me with it so the guidance comes from experts for sure. If it's no rush to check mine out, we can wait for the COVID stuff to relax and you can come round and take it for a drive. Mine is RHD btw.

Matt H

Just as a point of reference you may find useful.

In 2016, if memory serves, I paid $25K for my 1998 300tdi R380 Defender 110 9 seat Station Wagon. It was sold to me by a fella in Winnipeg and I drove out to inspect and take it home. It's LHD originally from Germany/Holland so the speedometer is in KPH.
It was 100% stock with the exception of a Webasto engine preheater and upgraded headlights.
It had/has a few flaws but is quite tidy for an unrestored 22 year old vehicle.

If I had to buy the same one again today I'd expect to pay more, but not a huge amount more. The issue with all TDI units and very quickly the TD5 is the Americans. As soon as an importable vehicle hits the magic 25 year old mark you have lots and lots of well healed potential US buyers that drive the prices up. It's already happened with 110's and 200/early 300tdi Defenders. I also believe the emergence of the New Defender will only exacerbate this.

If I were in the market, especially for a nice stock TD5 110SW,  I'd think about making my move sooner rather than later.

On a side note we owners can be a bit uncharitable when describing the Defenders shortcomings but for smiles per miles, adaptability, adventures and what I believe to be a truly unique and very friendly global community they just can't be beat!

Good luck!
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Chad M

Excellent discussion to follow along. 

I'd like to bring a 110 pick up back to Canada one day, this info is really great.

binch

Quote from: Matt H on June 18, 2020, 02:23 PM
On a side note we owners can be a bit uncharitable when describing the Defenders shortcomings but for smiles per miles, adaptability, adventures and what I believe to be a truly unique and very friendly global community they just can't be beat!

Isn't that the truth.   That deal you got Matt was very uncommon occurrence that could only be wangled by Matt.    He has the Budwiser team up is back side...he's that lucky!!!!   He's a god in the landy procurement deal land 8)

Bringing one back from Europe is a good option but you have to have good contacts.    But there are some good deals there to be made.   I would avoid the RHD models though.   The are just as easy to drive as a LHD, don't get me wrong.   But they are VERY difficult to get full insurance on in many provinces and impossible to register in a couple.   The resale value of a RHD landy is not goo either.   So you may get one cheaper but....it's going to cost you in the end.

15 years ago you could have bought an older model 110 in the UK where someone had put on a galvanized chassis, lockers and a pile of other goodies.  And you would have been able to get it for $10,000.   From there you could ship it here for about $3500 and then have money left over to do all the repairs and mods you want locally where you stand a chance of getting a warranty.   But those days aren't so common anymore.

You just have to know a guy...and I do hahahahhahahha
Cheers, Bill

GR8PMKN

Is that guy Matt??  ;D

Seriously, I'm gonna remember that you know a guy!   ;)