To snorkel or not to snorkel?

Started by bumpydormobile, June 15, 2020, 07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bumpydormobile

So I have often seen 4x4's with snorkels and thought why do you have a snorkel and a petrol engine and probably never go wading.
and I just started to do some reading to better understand the thinking.  how many of you have installed the snorkel for wading or is it
for getting clean cooler air to the motor? or because it looks cool! Here is an article I just read, let me know your thoughts... http://www.theadventureportal.com/the-snorkel-a-misunderstood-upgrade/

David

Matt H

I'd say if there is a chance you could encounter a water crossing or drive extremely dusty tracks then it makes sense to fit one. They are not that expensive. Same theory as a winch. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

My 2c.

No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

I kinda agree with Matt.   I have a snorkel for deep water and dust mostly.   But as many of you know I never, ever go through deep water ::)    Nope, no water ever came through my dash vents when I forgot to close them while not crossing a stream 8)    And though I've done the Alexander MacKenzie Trail 3 times now there is no evidence of me going through any deep water there either :-X

But if I didn't do any wading...which I "never" do then I would likely not have one.
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quite a few different angles in that article regarding snorkels. My motivations for having one is much less complicated. Every summer I'll be in deep somewhere, often multiple times. So they are quite practical in that case, much like a locker or mud terrain tires.

But like lockers or mud terrain tires if you're not out in an environment that requires them on a regular basis, then its more a matter of "want" rather than "need". Nothing wrong with buying a snorkel for show either if that floats your boat. Do they add other benefits/problems as that article eludes to? That's beyond my pay grade...I just know they are handy if you're frequently seeing creek flowing over your hood rather than under it. That's good enough reason for me. 
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

B-Red

I have snorkels on both my Tigger and my Disco. I did go in the water with them over the years. My comfort level is I can drive around if we end up with a flash flood like in Calgary last week or Edmonton few years ago.
I have not experienced any problems with them either. I had them running for over eight years.
Besides, when you install one you start getting waves from the Jeep's and the Land Cruisers on the road with Snorkels.
Cheers. Emad

Red90

If you do install a snorkel for the purposes of wading, to prevent hydrolock, make sure the whole system is sealed.  Some snorkel kits do not seal the system.

binch

Quote from: B-Red on June 18, 2020, 09:41 AM
I have not experienced any problems with them either. I had them running for over eight years.

I vaguely remembering a Big Red Disco 2 trying to go through a deep water hole like a "Marlboro Man".   No bow wave... but a Tsunami wave.   And as predicted this new driver ended up sitting in the middle of a deep hole with flooded electrics and a passenger in the back seat bailing water with a coffee cup.   And I think that vehicle was stuck in low range after that, until it was trailered back and repaired.    Does this sound familiar?   LOL
Cheers, Bill