Northern Forestry Trunk Road and the Canfor Road

Started by ugly_90, May 28, 2020, 11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly_90

During one of my visits yesterday, I travelled down a long section of the Canfor road and the FTR. Its terribly quiet down there now, a few logging trucks, and a few tank trucks once and awhile. The bulk of other traffic is completely gone. It's like driving down there during Christmas. HWY40 is much more manageable as well, south of Grande Prairie.

All of the Canfor-run camping spots along appear open, they've never closed those gates during the Covid crisis. There is signage up in the campsite regarding a fire ban though. They've stacked donated logs for firewood cutting as well. The many campsites are fairly rough, no water or electricity there, a shared outhouse and your own campsite is all you get. Its free to stay there though. The Canfor campsites I visited were Fryingpan Creek and Economy Lake, both on the FTR.

The FTR is well developed now, and there's rumors of paving this section of it. It isn't the hard offroading it once was. Perhaps it'll fit into someone's plans of accessing northwest AB/BC this summer from Edmonton. As long as you aren't camping there during a long weekend, I doubt it'll be too crowded.