88 Cartridge oil filter~ Where i can buy a cheap'ish oil filter in Calgary?

Started by Pine_Sol, April 29, 2020, 05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pine_Sol

'73 88 2.25 petrol cartridge oil filter,

hello,
truck has been parked for 23yrs, feeling its time to start her up this summer. when it used to be my daily driver i use to use locally sourced in calgary (non LR parts) tractor oil filters, perfect fit and worked great. I have been searching through google but cant find which/ what filters will fit, and unable to remember where i use to buy them let alone what the part number is or what used them.

suggestions or links of where i can buy a cheap'ish oil filter.

please and thank you.

headdamage

Get the oil filter adapter from a 2.5na diesel and use common PH8A type filters. Should be some kicking around here, might have one in the garage myself.

Rambler

Hi Pine Sol

The Ottawa valley Land Rover website gives a list of alternative local parts for our land rover's.  Half way down the page it gives some oil filter options.

Good luck

https://www.ovlr.org/OVLR.alt.parts.html

Ian
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

ugly_90

As it has been parked for a few decades, changing the oil and filter will be one of many steps before startup. The top end will likely be really dry, with all of the oil drained out of it by now. I can't think of an effective way to inspect and lubricate that in-block cam other than disassembly. Your coolant as well as all your other fluids will need to be changed after sitting for so long.

headdamage

Not sure if this would work but I suppose you could fill the motor to the top with cheap motor oil and let it sit for a few days then drain it off and refill with good oil before starting. It is also possible to remove the distributor and spin the oil pump with an adapter of some sort to prime the oil system.

Pine_Sol

Quote from: headdamage on April 29, 2020, 07:14 PM
Get the oil filter adapter from a 2.5na diesel and use common PH8A type filters. Should be some kicking around here, might have one in the garage myself.
a spin on filter would be much easier to change (ever so tired of the oil running down my arm). if you do happen to come across one, please let me know.

Pine_Sol

Quote from: Rambler on April 29, 2020, 10:43 PM
Hi Pine Sol

The Ottawa valley Land Rover website gives a list of alternative local parts for our land rover's.  Half way down the page it gives some oil filter options.

Good luck

https://www.ovlr.org/OVLR.alt.parts.html

Ian
thank you

Pine_Sol

Quote from: ugly_90 on April 29, 2020, 10:59 PM
As it has been parked for a few decades, changing the oil and filter will be one of many steps before startup. The top end will likely be really dry, with all of the oil drained out of it by now. I can't think of an effective way to inspect and lubricate that in-block cam other than disassembly. Your coolant as well as all your other fluids will need to be changed after sitting for so long.

Quote from: headdamage on April 30, 2020, 12:40 AM
Not sure if this would work but I suppose you could fill the motor to the top with cheap motor oil and let it sit for a few days then drain it off and refill with good oil before starting. It is also possible to remove the distributor and spin the oil pump with an adapter of some sort to prime the oil system.

i appreciate your replies.

unfortunately, time (before the snow flies again) and space (currently stored outside under many tarps) are my two limiting factors of being able to do more work on it to bring it back as a sunday driver. the hibernation was some what planned, in that i did remove (and after the oil, replaced) the spark plugs and put oil into the cylinders and rotated the crank (with the hand crank) to (try) and cover the exposed surfaces with oil, but the plan back then was to store it for a year or two; not this long.

the other part of me, somewhat thinks, as i dont plan to completely wake her back up, is to leave her sleeping until that time does come. i do miss driving her around with the soft top and half doors.

decisions decisions

RossM

Pine Sol,
I have one you can have.
I am in Calgary.
Ross
403-850-5367

Pine_Sol