To Diesel, or not to Diesel...

Started by Already a Rover, August 07, 2015, 08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Already a Rover

...that is the question.  Does anyone out there have a good turbo-diesel I could drop into my S2a?? 

I'm not happy with 70 hp, but wondering if modifying the original gas engine is the way to go.  One non-tangible is maintaining the re-sale value by keeping it original.

Jim

ugly_90

Jim, this seems at best, a bad idea.

Given that your S2a has an operating, non faulted engine, I miss what the diesel would achieve. And turbo diesel seems possible, but a bit of a mismatch, unless you have an LWB. We all know about the Mercedes conversion, which would be appropriate here,  to spare using up a genuine LR engine.

you could find an engine in a rusted 1980's Mercedes car at the pick and pull for very little, order the conversion kit from overseas and get started. Or do the same with a Perkins engine from a scrapped combine harvester.

Again, I don't know why you would. It would be more reasonable to start a new project this way. Even that is a bit difficult.

if you're unhappy with the small power of your existing gas engine, wouldn't you transplant a larger gasoline engine? Perhaps others have installed six or eight cylinder units?

Could you sell your truck and buy another for the same price with a fitted engine and the work completed?

camo388

Jim you have got to remember that the 2A is something close to if not more than 50 years old.
You add a more powerful engine then the gear box or axles may not take this extra power so you need to upgrade.  Now your are going faster but the brakes are not up to the task of stopping you, so you upgrade again.  You are solving one problem and starting many more. 
This all cost $$ and time you could be using to enjoy what you have.  You want to adjust your thinking and start enjoying a more relaxing drive at a slower speed.
I'd say if you want power and get places quicker, change vehicles to a Range Rover, maybe Discovery or heaven forbid, a Hummer.  Now you get places faster but afraid to actually really go off roading for fear of scratching paint. ;D

My 2 cents.
Bruce

binch

Lots of folks were doing the turbo diesel upgrade in the UK, but the RHD is more condusive to such endevours (dealing with the turbo location and steering).    As long as it was driven sensibly it worked just fine.   But as Bruce says....it won't be cheap.   But it will be quick!   

Tony Smith installed a 2.5N/A into his 2A and that thing went like stink, easily doing 120 on the hwy.  Don't know how..but it was quick.
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

The UK diesel swap thing was mainly driven by the exceeding high cost of petrol and the abundance of cheap 200/300Tdi 28mpg diesels from rotten Disco's. None of these are a factor in Canada so it's not really a sensible option. Even in the UK, a Series LR is worth more with its orginal power plant than a more modern transplant.

Long story short, it's old an slow. You can make it new and fast but then it wouldn't be a series LR any more.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Already a Rover

Hey Binch - now there is a 2.5l NA diesel up for sale...  I have been told without a turbo there is little difference to a 2.25 tho.  I love the idea of a simple swap, just need a LITTLE more power so I can drive up hills without becoming a road hazard, especially in the winter when (other cars) braking can be dangerous in itself!

Thanks - hopeful.

Jim

binch

If you look to the UK you can pick up a 2.5 turbo diesel (NOT TDI) that will bridge that power gap.   folks over there were throwing them away as soon as they could get their hands on a 200/300tdi.    Just have to have a look on the UK based forums.    If you want I can put you in touch with a gentleman with used parts connections over there.   Just send me an email please ;-)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

On a series, the 2.5NA is not a straight swap.  The injector pump fouls the right side engine mount.  Not a huge job, but cutting and welding required.  Fitting any of the turbo models is much more involved including the fact that the gearbox will die.  Lots of writeups about.

The 2.5NA power is about the same, but you get to use half the fuel.

binch

Jim, don't worry about the speed....    Everyone will be slowing down to take a look at your SWB as you putter along anyway. ;)

Besides....the first rule in Italian driving
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjGXn249Fc0

;D
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Be prepared for slow revving, very noisy, likely smokey progress from a 2.5NA diesel.  If 2.5NA was already fitted then I'd leave it because is nothing really really bad about them and they are robust but honestly I'd rather have a petrol 2.25L in a Series LR. It's just not worth effort or assault on the senses for 0 power gain a few more MPG.
If need more jam then a Rover V8 will solve that problem but create far more in the process.

My 2c
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

ugly_90

So from your other post, you're switching to diesel because your bores are worn on your present petrol engine and you lack power. You noted crankcase breather pours oil when running and removed. Wouldn't it be more worthwhile to replace the rings or sleeves on your present engine? We've found a machine shop here that is promising for budget resleeving of 4 and 6 cylinder blocks.

Already a Rover

Thanks ALL!  IF I could find a good diesel then I might go that way and put on a Turbo.  It would probably be cheaper too.  Otherwise, yes, probably stick with the gas.  I have no experience with turbos, but see the link to a turbo-gas Series.  Hmmm.  There is a guy in Calgary who has one even.  I don't need to decide now - another 2/3 weeks in Japan still.  I do want to stick with the 2a. 

Ugly - If the bores need re-doing, I will be interested. 

Jim

Red90

You do not want to put a turbo on an NA as they will die quickly. This has been proven long ago. You need to get the engines that have the turbo to start with.   They are built much stronger to deal with the power.