Defender TD5 Rebuild

Started by grizzlychicken, April 18, 2020, 06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red90

Oh.  I see the picture now.  You are putting a 4 million dollar pop up roof  ;) onto the truck and wondering how the breadstick sides will prevent it from collapsing.  Apparently it seems to work.  Don't ask me how.  I would not sign off on it.  I'm not sure if anyone tries to strengthen the sides.

I always thought the Dormobiles were the nicest design.  But the Alu-Cab are the current cool kid on the block.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf1nG4mOU3I&list=PL6dHJg46iIbURZgM6P7twTon8sLBGbg3s&index=2

grizzlychicken

Quote from: Red90 on October 03, 2023, 02:07 PM
Oh.  I see the picture now.  You are putting a 4 million dollar pop up roof  ;) onto the truck and wondering how the breadstick sides will prevent it from collapsing.  Apparently it seems to work.  Don't ask me how.  I would not sign off on it.  I'm not sure if anyone tries to strengthen the sides.

I always thought the Dormobiles were the nicest design.  But the Alu-Cab are the current cool kid on the block.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf1nG4mOU3I&list=PL6dHJg46iIbURZgM6P7twTon8sLBGbg3s&index=2
Yes just surprised how little structure is in this piece. The b Pilar and c Pilar's seem to transfer load well. Just skeptical of the load transfer at the rear of the 110. The rear tub's top cap does transfer some load through the c Pilar though so maybe I am not trusting the engineering enough!
I love the look of the alucab! And love that you can have a rack on it when using it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grizzlychicken

Ok so today worked on the Cookie Monster some more! Attached the front windshield panel to the bulkhead and attached the vents to the bulkhead. If you remember I repaired my bulkhead and had it galvanized. Unfortunately some galv got into the vent pin bracket. Was a bit of a pain to file it out as was very close to the finished bulkhead. The middle was the pain but managed to use a long drill
Bit for the side pieces.

Then went to do the rear tub to window brackets but couldn't find them anywhere! I remembered I got a bunch of little parts powder coated so think I found them. Are these the right brackets? Look right to me.....

They look pretty beefy so perhaps my faith is restored for connecting the tub to the rear window!

binch

Cheers, Bill

grizzlychicken

Chop Chop!
No takers for my free bent and rusty old defender 110 chassis so off to the metal recycler tomorrow! I might get a whole....$30 for it. Not quite enough to cover the Canmore to calgary trip!  Oh well have errands there anyway!

binch

What about the truck.....how's the progress coming along??????

Enquiring minds need to know   LOL
Cheers, Bill