series 2 a brake master cylinder

Started by trshep, March 26, 2020, 08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trshep

Has any one had any experience getting the brake master cylinder adjusted correctly.  been fighting mine for 2 days.  get it where I think it's right and wait a half hour and the pedal goes to the floor.  get it to where I don't lose pedal then the brakes bind up while driving   help!!!!

Rambler

Do you have a green bible (meaning the original land rover workshop manual).  I hear the key is setting up enough play in the master cylinder push rod, achieved when your brake pedal is the right height off the bottom of your footwell,  something like about 6.25 inches, but best to check those.  The adjusters on each wheel should be turn on to just have the wheel stop spinning, then back off 2 clicks. 

1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

trshep

I have the green bible and every thing is set but still having problems

Matt H

Sounds like the brake master cylinder has failed. Likely the seal between the fluid intake/ return port and the exhaust port.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

trshep

brand new  shitpart master cylinder  any recommendations on another brand that might work

Red90

You want OEM. Aftermarket ones are horrible.

binch

send it back to the vender you got it from (at their cost) and ask for a replacement.   Ask them to supply an OEM and you pay the difference on the upgraded part.   Both parts have a 2 year warranty on them.
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

I find BRITpart a bit hit and miss. Some of their stuff is great however anything safety related like brakes it's better not to take the chance and go OEM if you can.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

trshep

what about Proline from Rovers North?

binch

I can't tell you anything about them I'm afraid. :(
Cheers, Bill

trshep

Got new   from master cylinder from Rovers North  had the same problem  would not hold pressure   They are sending a replacement will see if that works!  been trying to get it fixed for about 6 weeks!!

Red90

Have you been bench bleeding the master fully before install?

Do you have a booster and is it adjusted properly?

Are all the shoes installed properly and adjusted properly? It is easy to get this wrong.  The manual is not very clear.

trshep

bench bled before install  no booster and brakes assembled according to the green bible

trshep

3rd new master cylinder same  problem set up according to green bible ,  can pump up brakes and let it rest for 2 seconds and no pedal  HELP!!!!

Red90

Sound like a problem at the shoes. One not installed or adjusted correctly that backs off.

Clamp off one brake line at a time and see if that fixes the issue.