Gearbox painting advice

Started by grizzlychicken, March 28, 2020, 12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grizzlychicken

Hi All,
So I am in the process of stripping my gearbox and replacing some shafts and bearings. The td5 r380 transmission has both aluminum and steel casing parts. I stripped the steel casing but wondering what the wisdom is on painting the casing? Do it while apart? Put it together and tape the aluminum casing edge?  There are 3 pieces. 2 steel and one aluminum. One of the steel pieces is a support plate so it's exterior edge is thin.
Any advice or pics on what you have done or links?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt H

I'd paint the steel portion of the case gloss black whilst it's all apart. Leave the aluminum sections raw.

My 2c.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

TJay

Like Matt says, gloss black for the steel and if you're feeling real flush you could anodize the aluminum. When I worked in the aircraft industry we painted the Continental engines - crankcase - continental gold, cylinder barrels gloss black, then anodized the heads, rocker covers and all the ali' on the accessories and replated fixings. Looked real sharp.

grizzlychicken

Awesome thanks guys. Not sure if I have the time to do the anodization but sounds like a great idea!
I got mine done and pretty happy with how it turned out :)

Matt H

That's looking really good. The black paint helps with heat transfer, that's why most OEM engines switched to it for cast iron engine blocks. The gloss also helps a ton when cleaning the old undercarriage off after a "Dirty Weekend"  :o

No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

That looks nice n tidy now ;)
Cheers, Bill

grizzlychicken

Mmmm looks what's cooking :) heat curing

binch

Let me guess...you ran that past the wife and she was okay with it???      Kinda like sneaking parts into the dishwasher LOL
Cheers, Bill

grizzlychicken

Kinda just snuck it in there and hope she doesn't notice

binch

Cheers, Bill