Stupids rein supreme

Started by binch, March 12, 2020, 10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

The wife and I went to Costco to top up on fuel today.  While we were there we nipped in for a few items we needed.   Now I've been hearing about the grab for toilet paper but I just couldn't believe it!??!?!    There were NO paper towels, Napkins, TP, tissues to be found anywhere in there (except that bathroom.    When one of the fork lifts start "Beeping" in the back store room it was like watching dogs at the offleash area answering to their master's whistles!!!!!!       Now food and water....LOTs of it....but that's just not important enough I guess!

And before you ask.....no, we weren't there for and TP    ;D
Cheers, Bill

Red90

You have not seen anything yet.  This is just the early profiteering stage.  When it gets really serious, then the true panic shopping will begin. Retailers and/or government will need to intervene.

Stay safe.  Try not to catch it near the peak as we will certainly be running out of health care capacity by then.

ugly_90

I think current trade values for old LR's are running about one pallet of TP and a drum of isopropyl alcohol. August delivery.  :P

Red90

Just in case anyone thinks we are safe because of the low case count, we are not.  We are just behind the curve. The way that this disease propagates makes it impossible to contain.

It is coming soon and will vastly overwhelm the capacity of the health care system. Around 14% of infected people will need hospital care.  They need it because the infection in the lungs prevents them from absorbing enough oxygen to live.  The only treatment is to be on a ventilator until your body gets rid of the virus.  This is two to four weeks. There are not enough ventilators for everyone that will need them. This is a plain hard fact. If you are old, you want to do everything you can to avoid getting infected.

binch

With my asthma I've been in training at low 02 levels most of my life as I work my way toward Emphysema.    That would explain my brain LOL ;D

But in all seriousness we are nothing like the Influenza epidemic of 1918 where hundreds of millions died.   Even if it is still a nasty bug ...... Toilet paper is the first thing they thought of?!?!??!?!? ::)

play safe kids ;)
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

I feel I may be partly to blame here.

For years I've been a vocal proponent of the toilet paper theory. The theory that no matter how bad any situation can be it can always be worse if you don't have any toilet paper.

Example. You have been chased through the woods and are now being eaten by an angry bear! Pretty terrible situation, can't really get any worse than that can it?

Now imagine the same scenario only you have been without toilet paper for a week......just got a little worse hasn't it.

The problem now is, what if you are running short and actually do need some bog roll? Now you feel ridiculous going to the store to pick some up.  ;D

The 1918 Spanish Flu was perfect storm of horrors. After the war there was still very poor general hygiene. Huge displaced populations in temporary camps or packed into overcrowded cites. Western Europe especially was shattered with supplies of every kind in short supply. People were still literally starving to death. Thousands of wounded soldiers with nowhere adequate to recover demobbed and transported back home. All hot on the heals of four years deprivation and destruction caused by one of the most terrible wars in all of history.

This COVID19 is obviously dangerous for many weak or elderly people and we should do what we can to prevent it spreading, but this panic buying is just silly.

Now, can anyone tell me where I can buy a couple rolls of toilet paper?
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

LOL.....I'll bet you're missing the big SEARS catalogue now  ;)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: binch on March 13, 2020, 11:18 PM
With my asthma I've been in training at low 02 levels most of my life as I work my way toward Emphysema.

Do everything possible to not get infected. The disease can cause lung damage to people that make it through alive that might be permanent.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-recovery-damage-lung-function-gasping-air-hong-kong-doctors-2020-3
Quote"Some patients might have around a drop of 20 to 30% in lung function" after full recovery, he said.

Rambler

Having had pneumonia twice in my life and now asthma it is a worrying time for me and everyone.  Stay safe out there...
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Red90

Lots of good local data here for people that like stats.

https://covid19stats.alberta.ca/

binch

I would like to register a formal complaint that the virus is unfairly targeting the males of the population and a disproportionate level to that of the females!!!

LOL  ;)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: binch on March 22, 2020, 09:58 PM
I would like to register a formal complaint that the virus is unfairly targeting the males of the population and a disproportionate level to that of the females!!!

LOL  ;)

The theory is that men are just stupid and don't clean themselves.

binch

Cheers, Bill