Exploring camping options in Alberta

Started by BurbleBeast, July 07, 2021, 08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BurbleBeast

Back in May, dad and I took my Disco out to Brule Lake for a few days and were treated to nature at its finest. The mornings were frosty, but the days were very enjoyable and a large variety of birds (and a chipmunk or two) kept us company.
Unfortunately, as soon as we headed into the trees a little ways from the main campsites, it became rapidly evident that people who don't know how to use a shovel had spent a fair bit of time up there before us. This really put a damper on the the enjoyment of being out in nature and away from civilisation for a few days.

I suspect that things have only gotten worse in the more accessible and popular areas throughout the province with rising temperatures and travel still somewhat restricted. As such, I have been looking around on Alberta's parks website in the hopes of maybe finding something slightly off the beaten track, that allows for back country camping and some trail/off-road driving. Two locations have popped up on my radar and I was wondering if anyone has any familiarity with either (first or second hand).

Hubert Lake WPP: https://albertaparks.ca/parks/northeast/hubert-lake-wpp/
Otter-Orloff Lakes WPP: https://albertaparks.ca/parks/northeast/otter-orloff-lakes-wpp/

Thank-you,
Johnathan

binch

If you are looking for a nice campsite for the nights then check out Beaver Lake Provincial rec area.    All the amenities you need for creature comforts, good lake to play in.   Excellent saskatoon berry crops (as well as black bears LOL) and lots of access to the wild areas.

Heart lake is another nice spot with lots of sandy areas as you are getting closer to the shield country.

If you want to good random camping take a drive up the Old Conklin Wagon Trail, north of Lac La Biche.    Beautiful country up in there with tons of lakes, creeks, hills, blue berries. etc.    No shortage of places to set up a tent and make yourself at home, and get some space to your self too.    Lots of trails to explore as well.    So far we've found a trail out west out to Hwy 63 and we may have a found a possible route out to 881 to the east as well....but have to confirm that some day  ;)

No user fees there yet either.   
Cheers, Bill