RE compression ratio of Range Rover two door 1981

Started by jeffrey, February 17, 2020, 11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffrey

I am rebuilding the engine on my 1981 Range Rover Classic two door with the 3.5lit gas engine. I think it is most likely a 8.13:1 compression ratio but it is dependent on the suffix.  My VIN number is SALLHABV2AA110627, so does this mean it is a suffix AA, which would equate with a 8.13:1 compression ratio?  There are other compression ratios listed for the Classic range Rover, both early and late.

Also I was referred to a guy called Alex Amorim who has an engine shop on Argyle in Edmonton, the business being called PER or prime engine remanufacturing, he was recommended by Dan from 4Wheel Auto who uses him a lot for his Land Cruisers.  He has an amazing shop with great staff and I took the block in, along with crankshaft, pistons, valves etc and they have done an amazing job on cleaning it up and recommending what size pistons and bearing caps I will need, as well as checking the valve spring tension, and resetting the valves. Alex was also a Land Rover club member in the past as he had an early 109, so is good connection for anyone rebuilding an engine themselves.

Matt H

Yes, the later 14CUX fuel injected 3.9L blocks found in 1993 and up Range Rover Classics had 9.35:1 compression. I believe all the Range Rover 3.5L blocks and the earlier 3.9 blocks had the lower compression, later 3.9L/4.0L blocks lost the distributor. The Stage 1 and the later 110 V8 may been even lower but I'm not sure? You should probably run that one past Dave.

You can run a higher compression engine with the original carb intake if you want but seeing as two door Classic  Rangie values are crazy right now if I had the original block I would use it. If it's non repairable or MIA I'd look for a date appropriate replacement.

No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Matt H

Quote from: jeffrey on February 17, 2020, 11:21 AM
Also I was referred to a guy called Alex Amorim who has an engine shop on Argyle in Edmonton, the business being called PER or prime engine remanufacturing, he was recommended by Dan from 4Wheel Auto who uses him a lot for his Land Cruisers.

I hope this isn't the same outfit that sold you a new transmission and then engine swap only to find a squirrels nest in the intake!!!!!

jeffrey

No Matt, this is not that group, but a machine shop that does automobile heads, crankshafts etc. Matt you have a Range Rover Classic so yours would be the higher compression ratio and mine the 8.3:1 correct??

Matt H

Yup. Mine has build date of 1994, and has the high compression 3.9L.