Series 2A for sale

Started by camo388, September 10, 2019, 01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

That's a great tag line!

..."1972 Landrover Series 2A. Warmer than a quad for less money"
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

jeffrey

That is exactly the same as mine, and was the last year of the series 2A and the first year of the series 3.  The front wire grill, is that of a series 2A and in that model the lights were in the front wings. The body looks a bit rough, but all panels reasonably straight. The two doors look okay and there is not major bubbling at the bottom from electrolysis which is a good sign. The back door, though no direct photo looks like it has two parts, so probably started life out as a soft top, then someone put a roof on it (non safari) and an upper door. The lower tailgate is a different color. There has been a liberal application of silver paint on the bumpers, wheels etc. There looks like there is some rust in the footwells, and one of the lower pillars (passenger side) also looks a bit rusty. The dash looks pretty clean and genuine with some more instruments. Interestingly in mine which came as it was out of the factory the speedo is on the other side compared to this one.  Hard to know what the chassis is like as there were no photos of it.  Looks like there are 92,000 Km on the clock. So it could be a sweet truck, or a major rebuild???? Having rebuilt one from scratch it would be the chassis that would be the selling point, as the engine most likely at that number of Km just needs a tweak, and the rest is cosmetic and relatively easy to do.  Nice to see one of the same year as mine........

TimberPig

It looks like a few other parts swaps have taken place, as the 4 bolt bonnet hinges aren't correct for a late 2a, neither is the body colour dash or the door lock handle on the drivers door.

I would hazard a guess that this had an older rebuild with a mix and match of used parts.

An original NADA spec late 2a came as a deluxe hardtop with a full rear door, sliding roof sides and standard hardtop roof.

The year could also be off, as many Series trucks were registered as the first year of registration as the model year.  Out of 5 Series trucks in various states I have here, only two are registered to match the build year, including my '71 2a 88", which I can confirm is about 99% as it left the factory ( my dad bought it new, then a friend had it for 25 years but altered nothing other than putting in parabolics).  It's registered as a '72 based on the year of first registration, but has a May '71 build date.