Preparing for a world tour in a Defender 110

Started by B-Red, July 04, 2019, 03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B-Red

The Landrover motto is " One Life-Live it" becomes closer to the heart as you slip into your silver years. So, I asked the question on Facebook in the LR campers as what would you put in a defender RV. Boy was I fulfilled. So many answers with great ideas and stories. For starters, extra gas tanks are better than Jerry cans as some countries don't allow them on roof racks. Self contained enclosures more practical in some countries for weather and safety. Flip top roofs seems to be the norm.
This link below is one of the fellows that answered and has some really good stories of his travels.
And while you do, feel free to jot down some pointers for turning Tigger in a global trekker.
Cheers. Emad

www.celtic-rover.com

B-Red

So, starting with fuel tanks. Has anybody used the side cabinets in the defender to install extra fuel tank?
Does a custom made tank require certifications?
I am trying to avoid adding the spare tank inside over the wheel hub or under the seat. Hoping to use the same fill lip for both and also eliminate the pump or selector switch.

camo388

Here are a few fuel tank options I found when I Googled "Defender long range fuel tanks".  The first website shows a larger main tank and another tank added to right side behind the rear wheel.  I believe the tanks have a common connection at the bottom so they act as 1 very large tank and no changes to fuel gauge, suction or return lines.  Disadvantage if you hole one tank, you lose all your fuel. 
The second web site shows secondary fuel tanks added basically under the passenger seat of LHD.  You would have 2 separate fuel sources so more complicated with 2 fill places, 2 suction and 2 return lines BUT advantage of losing fuel in only which ever tank was holed.  You could achieve the same end by adding a 90 fuel tank to your 110 at less cost.
The third website shows another option of just adding the auxiliary tank behind the right rear wheel.  There is a similar tank that can be added to the left side and used to carry water.
I would first ask how much extra fuel do you think you need to carry but this would of course be somewhat answered in where you intend to travel.  Unless in Outback Australia there are not many places where you would need to carry a lot of extra fuel to get between fuel stops.  A couple jerry cans in one of your side lockers and your main tank on a 110 will probably take you a long enough way.

http://thelongranger.com.au/landrover/defender/1992-current/
/longrangeautomotive.com.au/About-Long-Range-Automotive
/www.devon4x4.com/tank-defender-with-tr40-36l.html

Trevor

Why not go with the extra tank under the front seat Emad, ala my Camel? You can get all you need via the normal land rover sources. That also allows you to utilize that empty space beneath the seat for something; an added benefit when overlanding when space utilization is pretty important.

You can use the other nooks and cranny for possible water storage.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

B-Red

Quote from: Trevor on July 07, 2019, 01:45 PM
Why not go with the extra tank under the front seat Emad, ala my Camel? You can get all you need via the normal land rover sources. That also allows you to utilize that empty space beneath the seat for something; an added benefit when overlanding when space utilization is pretty important.

You can use the other nooks and cranny for possible water storage.
I was hoping to keep that spot for tools and spare parts. My hope was to keep the fuel outside the vehicle cavity. The Jerry cans only an issue in couple European countries. Italy and Switzerland. I like Bruce's location for one tank assembly even though may become a problem if I get a hole. At least minimum valves and tubes.

headdamage

I would add a 90 side tank then use the side locker for oil, antifreeze, tools, etc... there are lots of after market tank upgrades but they are expensive.