Series 2 Clutch Release Bearing

Started by mike.heathcote, May 09, 2019, 07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike.heathcote

Hey all,

If I supply the beverages and pizza, is there any interest in some help changing a clutch release bearing with me?

I'd like to learn, but have never pulled a gearbox before, so am not sure what to expect.  I have a rough idea, based on forum posts, manuals and YouTube posts,  but any help would be very much appreciated!  Its all been apart at the shop last year, so I'm not anticipating any seized or stripped bolts, etc. 

Gardenome

I'd love the chance to learn this as well. Can't offer any technical experience though, sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red90

You would normally want to change the clutch and have the flywheel machined while you have the gearbox separated from the engine.  It also is a good time to change the clutch slave and flexible hose.

IMO...unless you have a lift, removing the engine is a nicer way to go versus removing the gearbox.  Should be a couple of hours to get the engine out and couple more to put it back in with a friend helping.  With a day off to get the flywheel machined.

I'm not a Series expert, but I think you can also change to a later, larger clutch at the same time unless you want to stay original.  Of course, with these old truck, you have no way of knowing what is int there currently.

mike.heathcote

That was all done last summer - the problem was, the shop that did it put the original release bearing back on before they mated the gearbox.  So I've got a solid gearbox, clutch, flywheel...  but the same noisy bearing I brought it in with. 

My current plan is to pull the seats/floor pan and slide the gearbox back about a foot - just enough clearance to reach in and change the bearing.  Then it's (hopefully) a case of lining up the gearbox and reversing the process...hopefully??  :P 

SpeedyJ

Unless the crossmember behind the gearbox is further back on an 88" then a 109" a foot is, ummm, optimistic. Do it if you can, but you may want to buy/borrow/rent an engine hoist to pull the whole gearbox out as a plan B. I just finished up on a new clutch in my 109", I pulled the gearbox out the passenger door, my garage is too short to pull the engine with door closed, so I had no choice. It wasn't easy, but I was able to do it as a one man job, there was just a lot of back and forth while maneuvering the gearbox in and out.

mike.heathcote

@SpeedyJ:  That's a very good point... thanks!! 

Lightningpower

Hey Mike,

I have an engine hoist you can borrow.

xmod109

Mike,
I have an engine hoist available as well if you need it. In St Albert.

mike.heathcote

Hey @xmod109,

I already snagged Christian's hoist, but thanks for the offer - I really appreciate it! 

Hopefully everything goes smoothly tomorrow!