Military Tires Edmonton

Started by ugly_90, July 02, 2015, 10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly_90

I note there's a fellow selling commercial amounts of used 16" Military Tires on Kijiji in Edmonton, all for $50-125/ea. He seems to have a few 16" sizes, but no 7.50. I don't need any more sets now.

Might be handy for someone looking for a trail tire set this summer.

There's another fellow in Sherwood Park flogging a Unimog expedition camper, asking only $2,500...  just sayin...

camo388

From the map on the Kijiji ad it looks to be Dollar Tire or very close to them.

binch

sounds like something they would be flogging off.
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

Just out of curiosity, what would be a good replacement new tire for the Defenders military tires for off-roading ?
One of my tires is going flat and the other three are showing age.
I have the Good Year ones on my Disco and they worked great in the Moab. Not sure if they make similar tread in the Defender rims.

binch

the goodyear wrangler duratrac seems to be a pretty good all round tire.    The BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM2 are pretty nice tires off road too with beefier side walls then the duratrac, but not as nice on the road and the duratracs.   Red90 was running the duratracs offroad too..what did you think John?

I liked mine on the RRC.....

I have super swampers on the 110 which are great off road but they wear very quickly (40,000 KM).  But very tough tire....and heavy!!!!

Norman Hendry had a pretty nice set of tires on his 90 but I can't recall what they were.....

I haven't heard a lot of good things about the BFG A/T's from the people I know that tried them.....
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Tire discussions are such a touchy and large topic.  It depends on your needs and desires really.  What do you want the tires to be good at?  Are you wanting to drive in the winter?  How much do you care about tread life?

B-Red

For my Defender, it gets under 7k every year. Mostly Summer -Fall. Not much in the Winter. So, winter traction is not an issue. Most travels are Highway / City at speeds of 100km/ hour. Notice is irrelevant. Loud Diesel engine and ear plugs are the norms.
Most important is Mud / Sand / Rock crawling and traction.
Power Steering is not an option either.
A 40K life cycle means four years to five of service. Not a bad option.

Red90

I would probably suggest the Toyo Open Country M/T.  Very well respected tire.  Very, very tough.  All the regular sizes available.  255/85R16 is a popular size for the 110 crowd.  Be perfect on some Wolf rims.

http://www.toyotires.ca/tire/pattern/open-country-mt

B-Red

Those are pretty sharp looking tires. How are they for deflated to 20 psi for soft treading? I couldn't see in the specs the number of plus on the side wall for puncture resistance.

I checked my tires and I have 235/85R16 Hankook T24 on them.

I will check with Kal Tire if they carry it.

Red90

They are known to very durable off road and good traction especially for normal Alberta/BC conditions.  Could consider going up to the bigger size.  More clearance and less ground pressure, useful for a 110.

binch

Found this comparison but there's so many not in there.....

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheels-tires/154-1203-the-hot-sheet-33-off-road-tires-tested/

My super swampers IROK rate really good here, which I'm pleased to see :-)   Another good recommendation from John ;)

The tire Norman had on the Canol Road trail as to test for a shop in town that provides us with good prices on the Duratrac and is in the list, rating very well indeed.   It's the Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar...this looks like a good tire!

Cheers, Bill

Red90

Bill has Interco TrXus which is a good choice, but there are quality concerns after they restarted their production in different factories and I'm not sure how it stands these days.  The IROK is a serious off road only tire designed for rock crawling.  Trailer queen only.  There are lots of serious tires, but you don't want to drive them on the road as they are rough and will wear out very fast.  The most aggressive streetable tire I would recommend is the Interco SSR, but I don't think that is a good fit for Emad.

binch

I do like that BFG KM 2 though....seems robust enough too.

A lot of guys use these tyres in the UK and they do brilliantly too!  http://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/shop/product-info.php?prodname=195/80R15-95Q-Malatesta-Kaiman-Tyres&id=16476 My friend Rob swapped out his set of these tires for a larger that were similar to the toyo open country.   He wants to put his old tyres back on again.    I think these are remolded tires, which are allowed in the UK on all four wheels but I don't think you can even get these into Canada without customs seizing them.
Cheers, Bill

Red90

The BFGs are good. But the Toyos are better.

B-Red

I was checking on line for the Toyo tire shop. Kal Tire does not carry it. Could not locate our Goodyear on Argyl shop either. Any idea if the club has a good spot to order those tires?