Diesel Fumes

Started by JohnnyO, March 12, 2019, 08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pechanec

I agree that the fuel leak (s) are a likely culprit. Bear in mind diesel fuel contains benzene and other cyclic hydrocarbons. For myself, I don't enjoy the smell of raw diesel ( but love the sweet smell of rich diesel exhaust) but gasoline fumes will sometimes give me a headache for hours. And the "new car" smell ( which is largely off- gassing plastics) will make me nauseous!

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

JohnnyO

Well, I've had it into the shop and the return fuel line does have a leak.  And, a smoke test shows there's an exhaust leak on the top side of the resonator. 

binch

Good hunting John!!!
Cheers, Bill

JohnnyO

Okay, so we now have a new fuel return line, and a new resonator.  As an added precaution the Webasto has been disabled as the T in the fuel line looked moist.  With no known sources of fuel or exhaust leaks the next step is to drive it for a few days back-to-back and see what happens.  Fingers crossed.

binch

we wait to hear the outcome with great anticipation!!!
Cheers, Bill

headdamage

Are you sure the diesel isn't on your person? I try to wear gloves when fueling for this reason.

I'm guessing this is not your problem but it is mine ;)

JohnnyO

It's a sad day. With a heavy heart I've come to realize the diesel 110 is not good for my health. It's time to part ways and let someone else enjoy her as it's meant to be.  I've replaced the vent seals under the windscreen and the seal across the back of the engine bay. And even added an extension onto the tail pipe to make sure the exhaust is directed away from the body.  With all that the ultimate test was driving another diesel 90 for a few days with no known issues and after 3-4 days I was not felling well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt H

So........time for a tasty gas V8 conversion then? That's the best thing about utility Land Rovers. You can build whatever suits you.  8)
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

headdamage

Engine swap is a good idea if you like the truck but can't live with diesel.

binch

This is very true!   And with a good engine to trade you should come out even......

But you'll need to buy four 20 lt Gerry cans hahahhahahhahahhahah

But at least you'll still have your landy
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

Would a Tahoe 1995 engine fit?

Matt H

There are some interesting LS based swaps on Defender Source forum. Although I would personally go with an earlier engine without the multi-displacement feature. 

JohnnyO

This 110 is too nice to reduce the value by swapping out the engine.  And, I haven't had it long enough to have any emotional attachment.

I'm thinking I'll sell the 110 as it's in great shape and then start the search for the perfect V8 powered rig.

Matt H

Pukka NAS spec Defender 110's with the factory V8 attract a huge price tag and are hard to find. D90's are more numerous and therefore cheaper but still expensive.

Best bet would be an import of some kind or build one out of a diesel powered ex-mod unit. Or maybe you could find a guy who would trade.

headdamage

I would sooner modify a known good truck than take a chance on the import lottery.