Drawing on your more emotions

Started by binch, January 11, 2019, 12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

Lloyd sent me two video clips involving the nostalgia of the land rovers that we so love dearly, and I thought it would be nice to share with all of you.   This first one you'll all get...

Land Rover 70th Anniversary l Dorothy Peters

Now these next two videos....both put out by Land Rover.  Tell me, which video draws your attention more?   Which video pulls more on your emotions...?

OR

Which will be remembered 20 years from now ;)

Cheers, Bill

Matt H

This is my take away.

First video, quite sad. A very sweet,  English lady recounting her memorys of working at a factory building Land Rovers that will now be outsourced by the modern JLR to another country.

Second Video, everything modern Land Rovers are not. The pride those chaps have in their vehicles is well earned and is never something that can be attained by the modern "style over substance" line up.

Third video, ironic. Bunch of guys in new Land Rovers, packed with modern tech paying zero attention to their cars and fawning over all the old Land Rovers and how great they are!

If you needed a reminder of just how much Land Rover have left behind in their relentless pursuit of the luxury market this should do it.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Cheers, Bill

Rambler

^^^ spot on Matt.  I couldn't agree more.  Thanks Bill  :)
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Trevor

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

lropchan

https://www.adventure-journal.com/2019/01/land-rover-lovers-prepare-to-lose-your-minds-for-three-minutes/?fbclid=IwAR1-4XzAXFG6_igA-WofnbGEBRE_LMGJ44vFCFwbNnZ1ttz8VyDmrR6MSDw

"Watching that ancient, charming Oxford truck bang around in the snow is almost enough to make you forget about the lack of power steering, heat, good brakes, power, comfort, stereo, decent wiper blades, auto-locking differentials, and seats that don't feel like leather bags full of springs. We'll still take one."

Video from the article:

Facebook page of the 2015/16 trip to recreate the expedition in a 1954 Land Rover purchased for $300.
https://www.facebook.com/LondontoSingapore/

binch

Good video of what was once possible..... ;)
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

There was a time, not so very long ago, that anything with a Land Rover badge on the grill would be able to undergo the most arduous of expeditions to any corner of the globe in almost stock form. Build quality was often sketchy but the design was rock solid.

These days nothing with a Land Rover badge can seem to make it past the local Starbucks! Too expensive, too gadgety, too ostentatious and more than a wiff of gold bracelet lately if get my meaning? This is the modern JLR image and It's really too bad as they used to build great 4wd vehicles.

Sure they are selling more cars than ever but they are no longer the outfit they claim to be descended  from. I'm sure Ferrari would also sell tons of gussied up minivans if they decided to build them, but just because it had the prancing horse badge on the grill that wouldn't make those vehicles a real Ferrari sports car either.

Let's hope the new Defender will signal a reverse course for the brand.

B-Red

You know somebody may argue that a Series 3 truck was a symbol of luxury back in the 60s. Discovery 2 had a good ticket price back in 1999 compared to other SUVs.
The vehicle is what you decide to do with it. It's as capable to take out as it's older siblings. The question is would you scratch the paint on a $$$$ car.
We just have to wait until they go on the used car lots.

Trevor

Quote from: B-Red on January 18, 2019, 11:57 AM
You know somebody may argue that a Series 3 truck was a symbol of luxury back in the 60s. Discovery 2 had a good ticket price back in 1999 compared to other SUVs.
The vehicle is what you decide to do with it. It's as capable to take out as it's older siblings. The question is would you scratch the paint on a $$$$ car.
We just have to wait until they go on the used car lots.

The luxury bit only goes so far though, as does what one can do with it. The vehicle still has to be able to get the job done and full on luxury rigs simply cannot play in that space in a meaningful way anymore.

Jeep built the first luxury SUV's with the Wagoneer and set the model for the rest to follow. They showed that you can indeed fancy up the cab, and the ride, and the accessories, but when you look under the covers it's still a rugged go-anywhere Jeep. Land Rover followed that lesson well, and the Range Rovers and Disco 1's were basically Defenders with fancier bodies and cabs. It's a good model that works well.

The luxury market has evolved away from that with all brands. Jeep Grand Wagoneers, Range Rovers of all badges, luxury Toyota's, Nissan's, etc etc are simply not designed for the true offroad enthusiast anymore. That's because they can't be....to bring in all the bells and whistles you need a different platform entirely. There's no more putting lipstick on the pig and selling it to a different market segment.

The big difference is the other manufacturers still have excellent entries in the offroading and overlanding space...Jeep with the Wranglers, Toyota still makes the venerable 70 series, Nissan has the Patrol...all vehicles that can be order bare bones, and go anywhere out of the factory, and be ready for you to tweak and modify. THOSE manufacturers still give you that option to "do something" exciting in an offroading/overlanding context with their vehicles.

Land Rover, alternatively, offers nothing whatsoever in that space anymore. You can only do so much with a new Land Rover Discovery...and it will be no different than what any other run of the mill SUV can do. Their differences are negligible.

It appears the Defender will be following that path as well.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

Even in it's hay day I don't think anyone would have ever described a Series 3 Land Rover as being Luxurious, unless it was in comparison to a Series 2 or Series 1.......or walking!!!

But that's a bit like saying a church pew is more luxurious than a rock!

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on January 18, 2019, 06:27 PM
Even in it's hay day I don't think anyone would have ever described a Series 3 Land Rover as being Luxurious, unless it was in comparison to a Series 2 or Series 1.......or walking!!!

Indeed. Anything Series badged certainly had nothing "luxury" about it.
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

Quote from: Trevor on January 22, 2019, 09:59 AM
Quote from: Matt H on January 18, 2019, 06:27 PM

Indeed. Anything Series badged certainly had nothing "luxury" about it.

Maybe not Luxury....but boy they had class 8)
Cheers, Bill