Ouray Colorado 2019.

Started by Matt H, January 10, 2019, 08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Trevor

Quote from: binch on January 25, 2019, 04:17 PM
Bring a 2.5n/a diesel along as a safety vehicle.    It won't go where you're going to have problems!   It'll have an asthma attack instead hahahahhahahah

Lol, yep, that would work too.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

Quote from: camo388 on January 13, 2019, 08:24 PM
When I did the trek to Mt Everest base camp

Ok, it was several years ago that you and Bill stayed with us Bruce but I don't remember this ever coming up? Mt Everest! Wow. Some stories to be shared here I'm sure???

After some preliminary reading it would seem that the altitudes we may encounter in the area may present some (maybe serious) issues. That's a good reference Trevor.

I will need to work on my cardio a little bit but more importantly I should want to remember to take things slowly when at the higher elevations.
I've always held that when heading into new areas it makes sense to travel with those with more local experience than yourself and learn what you can from them.  The LRNR is great opertunity to experience these areas with Land Rover folks that live with these trails on their doorstep.

No Road Except For Land-Rover.

B-Red

You are right Matt. Training for this is essential. I am already doing my medical checks and increasing my excessive levels to see if I can handle the trip. Few runs to Jasper should close my readiness levels.

camo388

Quote from: Matt H on January 25, 2019, 11:42 PM
Quote from: camo388 on January 13, 2019, 08:24 PM
When I did the trek to Mt Everest base camp

Ok, it was several years ago that you and Bill stayed with us Bruce but I don't remember this ever coming up? Mt Everest! Wow. Some stories to be shared here I'm sure???

Well basically I went overland from London to Katmandu, public transport from Bangkok to Singapore, then down through Indonesia to Bali and flew on to Darwin.  That was first 6 months.  Worked and traveled by Triumph motorcycle in Central and East Coast Australia, next 8 months.  6 months working and travelling New Zealand.  Return to Australia to earn money for trip to South Africa and Rhodesia.  Finally back to England before flying to Halifax and taking train right across Canada to Victoria.  Settled in Edmonton after spending 2 1/2 years away.  Over the following years many other trips out of Canada though seldom over 1 month as married by then.  Only other lengthy trip was shortly after oldest son was born when we traveled to New Zealand and Australia for 6 months trying to decide which country to live in.  Settled in Canada because we thought we could always afford to travel back to NZ but from NZ less chance to return to Canada.  Australia was just too hot for us.
I doubt the same overland trip could be done today as too much unrest in Middle East and recently have seen pictures where smog hid the Taj Mahal.  How sad.
Going down hill in the Khyber Pass we were passed by a '55 Chevy.  4 heads front seat, 4 heads back seat and 4 people in the open boot!  Could easily add a few more children to that as they would be below window height.  Suspension none, seat belts never used!

Matt H

Sounds like an epic adventure. I had no idea you are so widely traveled Bruce? I'm insanely jealous, especially this time of year when I'm looking out over bald ass prairie and suffering from a serious case of cabin fever!

Trevor

As it turns out I have to be down in Grand Junction, CO for business meetings on July 26, so I am going to work the LRNR into that trip. I'm going to take the Camel down this time, should be fun.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

Sadly Joy has an unexpected surgery earlier this year and I don't think she will be up to bouncing along any trails yet so I'm not going this time. Perhaps sometime in the future? Hope so. It looks like an epic adventure.

The USA team Camel Trophy is bound to be a big hit Trevor! Such a cool unit and the Yanks will go crazy for the pukka US team Defender 110!

Trevor

The rally was a lot of fun. There was a writer from LRO International magazine covering the event this year, so you'll be able to read all about it on the October issue.

Colorado had a lot of snow last winter...200% --> 600% more than average. In the Ouray area this has caused delays in opening many of the passes. The iconic trails like Imogene and Black Bear are snowed in. Imogene we ran and were able to get almost to the top before being forced back. Black Bear was a no go and they don't expect to have it open until perhaps October...just in time for the new snows :).

Altitude is definitely a consideration. I had several O2 canisters with me at all times. They sell them at every service station, simple inhaler type setup. Very handy, and a requirement for us low landers who never see meaningful altitudes. Each trail I was on was 10k minimum, a couple were 12.5k (would have beenn  13+ had the passes been open). I found once I started to get near 10k I was feeling the effects. Quick blast of O2...all good!

The trails themselves are far from difficult. They are just ledgy is all, but technically extremely easy imo.
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

Sounds like the perfect area for Lovejuggs!!!!   ROFL ;D
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

I've been looking at the pictures folks have posted. Amazing! So bummed I had to miss this but fingers crossed for next time.