Because animals can be VERY entertiaining...

Started by Trevor, December 13, 2018, 09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

My girlfriend works for EPS in their training section and she sent me this video that came across her desk. I thought it a good opportunity to get a "humorous animal thread" going to go along with our LR meme's.

This video show training that is pretty common for the canine department. The dogs have to learn how to function with boots on their feet. They can be required for cold weather work, protection against material on the ground, etc. Needless to say, sometimes it takes a little bit to get used to. John Cleese and the Ministry of Funny Walks would be well impressed!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=video+of+police+dog+with+winter+boots&view=detail&mid=C4B19EF959069C5A0174C4B19EF959069C5A0174&FORM=VIRE
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Oh yeah...been there done that and laughed all the way through the walk!!!   Bodie (our redheaded golden retriever from a few years back) loved being outside and out on her walks in the cold...even 40 below... but she had all kinds of trouble with snow and ice build on the hair between the pads of her feet.  We tried clipping the hair short in between her pads but it didn't help.   I even considered spraying her paws with PAM since it worked so well on my mountain touring bindings on my skiis, but that didn't seem like a good idea spraying food on her feet.

So we tried dog socks of various styles and designs and her initial reaction was similar to this sheppard...High stepping everywhere until she got used to them.     The first set she ran off into the deep snow and came home with three of the four socks.   On our next walk I had her search (her favourite game) for the lost sock and she found it!!!!   But she lost one of the other socks in the process.   Seems her feet would just slip right out of them!!!   Well, we then tried a set of socks that had suspenders on them.   And same thing...she'd walk out of them....but at least we had them to come home with.  I even went so far as to use electrical tape around the cuff, just above the paw to hold them on and it worked....until I ran out of tape.    Eventually we had a set made for her and they worked a treat!   Stayed on each and every time and no more snow sticking problems.   But then we ran out of Bodie :-(     Still have the socks and we still have two other dogs and they still do the doggy version of the goose schtep when the boots are on.   

Gotta love 'em!!!
Cheers, Bill

binch

When we first got Sam (stupidest dog on the planet but friendly with people) from the rescue group she was always nervous about going in the car as her past experiences of 'car rides' have generally not been pleasant ones.    To give Susan a break for one weekend I took Sam (german sheppard, greyhound, lab, Heinz 57 cross) off to Brule Lake on one of the club outings.    Now, if you are familiar with my truck  you'll know it's a three door 110 with a cargo box and I pack the back up with gear.    Typical dog...she road up in front with me on the passenger side seat.     Seem she may have thought she was taking her "last ride" out to the back forty and sat there trembling the whole way.    By the time we got there 3.5 hours later you could tell I had a dog in the truck.    Driver seat was clean and the passenger seat was 1/4" thick of shedded  hair!!!!  You'd swear the dog exploded in the front seat!?!?!??    Once she realized she had wide open space to run around she was happy as a lark.   The drive home wasn't quite as bad....but I still needed a rake to clean out the hair! >:(
Cheers, Bill