Drive shafts out of phase

Started by Trevor, October 18, 2018, 02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

I just replaced the u-joints on the front prop-shaft of the Defender. I don't know why I didn't notice it before but the shaft is out of phase, and it appears to be that way on purpose as the spline is pinned to prevent putting it in phase.

Now, I am guessing that it's designed this way or I should be feeling a lot more vibration than is normal in a Defender (sure, I know, that's a relative thing because they're loud and shaky at the best of times :->). My D2 isn't here or I'd check it too and compare. First I've ever seen a drive shaft purposely designed to be out of phase. Anyone know the backstory to why it is done this way?
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Trevor

ok, just figured it out, so shortest thread ever.

The shaft is out of phase because the front diff pinion points upwards at the t-case rather than being in line....like every other vehicle on the planet. Someone decided to be different I guess :).

Since the horizontal is off between the two flanges the u-joints need to run out of phase to offset and prevent vibrating you off the road.

Clear like mud!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

Because of the motion of the radius arms it works best to have it pointing at the transfer case. If it wasn't then the angles become poor through the range of travel. It has worked fine since 1969.

This is why disco 2s went to a DC joint at the t case. It reduces vibrations. The downside is the centering balls never last long.

Trevor

Good info, thanks John. Interesting design choice to be sure.
― George Orwell, 1984