1940 Ford WOC1 - Project

Started by jybella, November 23, 2017, 08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jybella

At the back of the box, behind the fender is the Extra gas can these were called the flimsy the Jerry can was not widely used by the Allied forces till later in the war, this one is dated 1940 with the CDN arrowhead stamped. I need to make the holder and somehow solder up all the holes, not much material left after 80 years.

jybella

Continued progress, mounted tires on the front and put on the ground to really get a feel for what the final height and size will be. Now that it is on the ground it is considerably smaller then how it felt on the jack stands.

binch

Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Once the restrictions are lifted and life can return to a more normal version of itself I'm really hoping to see this in flesh!
Very interesting project.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Gardenome

Quote from: Matt H on January 06, 2021, 05:38 PM
Once the restrictions are lifted and life can return to a more normal version of itself I'm really hoping to see this in flesh!
Very interesting project.
I feel the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jybella

Working on the rear fenders, the Princess Auto fenders are only 9" wide, I needed to make the fenders wider to match the running boards which are 13" wide, I flanged the fenders and then added a 5" strip to the fender and ended about 13 1/2" wide.  Looks like they will work, the back of the fender will be cut up close to the height of the frame.  Looking at wider tires now at the back to fill the fender, the tires that are on it are old bias ply tires that I picked up at a swap meet, they are L78-15, I am thinking of either 235/75R15 or 265/75R15. No rush for tires yet.

binch

Cheers, Bill

jybella

Thx, it is a fun project. Plus something to do in Covid.

jybella

Spent the weekend working on the filler panels below the box.

jybella

This weekend was devoted to the rear fenders, I was not happy with the way the flange that I had put into he metal to increase the width. So I cut the fenders apart again and butt welded the pieces together, 6 separate pieces needed to be welded. I figured that each fender was 15' in weld length so for both fenders it was 30' of welding and grinding. Some filler so level out all should be good. Still need to weld in a edge piece and cut to length, but the major work is done. They turned out quite nice.

jybella

More progress, passenger fender now installed, this is also the side that the spare tire will fit. With the the T5 Transmission the stock cover was too shallow, it's a lot of grinding and welding I raised the cover up 1" , i still have to figure out how to make the transition at the rear to the floor.