Blown rear axle seal

Started by DefendersRock, August 10, 2015, 11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DefendersRock

Hello,

I have gear oil leaking all over my brake disk, rim and tire.  I think it must be the rear axle seal. 

Since i have to take my stub axle off, what all do I need to replace?  Should I also replace my mudshield and stub axle joint washer (which seems like more of a gasket to me)?  Do I have to do the inner bearing grease seal too?

I think I'll have to replace the brake pads... I heard you can't just clean them up with brake cleaner. 

Thanks!

Derek

Rambler

Not owning a defender I can only comment on my recent experiences in changing out a leaking seal on a series 3 land rover rear axle.  I replaced the outer leaking hub seal, the brake pads/shoes and the collar / land on which the seal rides on the stub axle, plus the felt washer that helps to seal the drive flange.  I believe on a defender if the seal land is damaged, rusted or scored it will damage a new seal in a very short time, its not removable and so you would need to replace the whole stub axle, with the new hub seal.  To help prevent axle seals blowing in future check to see the axle breather is not blocked.  It was on mine and resulted in leaking hubs seals and a pinion oil seal.

Take a look at the helpful land rover toolbox videos on youtube.  He provides a complete set of videos relating to what you ask above.

Good luck and happy rovering
Ian

1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

DefendersRock

Red90

You need to replace the hub seal.  Get an OEM version of part number RTC3511.  It is the best seal to use.  You will need new pads as well.  Mintex or Delphi.  You need to re-grease the bearings and have the drive flange gasket.

I would suggest downloading a copy of the genuine workshop and part manuals.  They are both available.  Not a difficult job.

jeffrey

Good to check the bearings while you are in there and at least re-pack tem if they are in good condition. I redid all of mine over the winter, and felt that as I was in the axle that it was a good opportunity to replace most of the components.  Check the stub axle to see if it is grooved where the oil seal fits, as if so you may be up for a new stub axle.  The parts for rebuilding the hubs are not that expensive, so worthwhile doing it properly. Technically it is not that challenging for the part-time mechanic, and I agree with one of the other comments that getting the manuel helps a lot.  The only unusual socket is the large one for the hub, otherwise pretty standard.

Red90

As to part sources.  Probably the only in town is TRS.  It is usually cheaper to purchase from a supplier in the UK.  Lots of choices there.  Alternatively you can join the club.  We have direct sources.