Caw Ridge Sept 8-10, 2017

Started by Kermit, July 03, 2017, 09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

• Caw Ridge

binch

I've got two of us in the 110 right now so we are using all the seat belts.   But....if you can get yourselves to the trail head I can take one extra (w/o a seat belt) :)
Cheers, Bill

pechanec

Yeah, you too binch

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Gardenome

Turns out I Promised to work a bingo this weekend many months ago so no go for me. Have a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

binch

bummer.....maybe next time Ian.  ;)
Cheers, Bill

binch

Just got back from Caw Ridge, just north of Grande Cache....GREAT RUN!!!!     Great vistas like the Boundary Lookout, but the drive in a week bit longer and there's a rickety bridge to test one's metal  ;)    We came very close to having to abandon this run due to a fire in the proximity but I guess the weather forecast came through and they gave Kerwin the go head.    Gorgeous area with an abundance in camping opportunities and lots of trails.    With talk around of banning all trails above 6000' I'm glad we got this one done....   May even have to sneak back for another run ;-)

Good call Kerwin!!!

Kerwin, Emad and Abdu were all taking pics and video so hopefully they'll share with us ::)
Cheers, Bill

binch

RATS!!!!   Can't view it   >:(
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: binch on September 11, 2017, 12:21 PM
RATS!!!!   Can't view it   >:(

It is not set as public.  You need to be Emad's friend.   ;)

Trevor

Quote from: binch on September 09, 2017, 10:11 PM
   With talk around of banning all trails above 6000' I'm glad we got this one done.

I haven't read anything on that one specifically. I just get the sense that the government wants to close things down to 4x4's generally. That's not really new, as there were lots of special interests (read: businessmen who were high up in the PC party which also happened to own Quad/side-by-side dealerships) in the PC days that wanted to get 4x4's off the trails. It's just now it seems to be a bit more institutionalized what with Alberta Parks now assimilating SRD.

That said, if they went with a ban of 6k lb vehicles that wouldn't be bad for us, as most of our rigs would come in under that (hehe, except maybe mine when fully loaded with all my gear). 
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

The discussion about a blanket alpine closure is a result of the SSRP and the impending (by next summer) PLUZing of the open areas between highway 3 and Kananaskis.  The SSRP talks of requiring closure to motorized use in delicate alpine areas.  Certain people in Alberta parks have eluded to using elevation as a blanket basis for determining what trails are acceptable and what are not.  It would not surprise me to see a park created that covers the remaining open portion of the divide above a certain elevation, thus making the closure clear and permanent.

Not that is matters, most likely, to us.  I would not be surprised if trucks are blanket banned from all these new PLUZs and they only do a limited OHV trail system.

Red90

Ah.  Found it.  Proposed park from the SSRP covering the alpine.  It is from 2014, and the park is not official yet, but is is probable it will come to pass next summer.

https://landuse.alberta.ca/SiteCollectionDocuments/SSRP%20High%20Rock%20Wildland%20Provincial%20Park%20-%202014-07.pdf

B-Red

I have my appreciation to the alpine areas and their sensitive environments. However, it's difficult to comprehend such policies that have logging and mining all over the place then complain about recreational users. An outfit was in top of the ridge. Was not clear if it's for hunting or research. Mining areas were also visible.
A balance is needed. Quads and side by side are not the answer for sure.

lropchan

Emad changed the videos to public so you should be able to view then now.

But, why aren't you facebook friends with him already. (I know what the answer is for some of you :) )

binch

Nope, still can't see it with Susan's facebook idea either. >:(
Cheers, Bill

lropchan

I would have to say that must be due to operator error :) as I tried and I can view them without being logged in to facebook and in an incognito window. Try again and let me know if you are still unsuccessful.