Defender Pop up Roof

Started by roverwanabe, June 06, 2017, 12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roverwanabe

https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/85932-110-lifting-roof-has-begun-in-earnest/

Hopefully the link works.  This shows how a guy did a pop up roof on a 110.    Considering the cost of these conversions run around 8-10 K$, he did a super job.....  the ability to weld would be key.

Matt H

There is no reason why you can't build one yourself. The main cost involved in buying this style of roof is the labour involved in the scratch fabrication of much of the structure. Very little is beyond a handy guy with a decent workshop.....and an epic amount of time on his/her hands.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

roverwanabe

Correct, it's not much different than building with wood, plan and measure.   The welding, now that might be way beyond me.

Red90

Read that thread before considering....  Making it both light, strong, waterproof and durable requires a lot of well thought out design.  Heavy is easy, but you won't be happy.  Speak to northerndefender about his experience with building a home made one.

IMO, the Dormobile side hinged system makes the most useful setup.  http://www.dormobile.co.uk/

northerndefender

John's right, mine was really heavy but I framed it in steel and it was way over built  ;)

roverwanabe

Do you have any pictures of it? 
I'm just looking at options and cost analysis.
Cheapest would be to just bunk in the back, but would be nice to have a pop up roof but nothing at a cost of 10K.
Another option I'm researching is to build a Hard Shell RRT, using a Truck Canopy cut down to fit.  Can get a good canopy for under $200.00, even free for some on Kijiji.
Everything depends on the hip replacement being a complete success.

B-Red

Dormobile roof and canopies are made of fiberglass. A mold can be made out of wood for the shape desired. A visit to the Spa tub fabricators can help you make few roofs. You can do it yourself if you have the breathing room as you would be dealing with fiberglass sheets, mesh and resins. There are few you tube videos on this.
Good for a club project.

Matt H

I was thinking more along the lines of using the original roof, hinged at the front with canvas sides and ends. Commercial versions are spendy because of the labour involved but lots of folks have made their own.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.