D1 t-case

Started by pechanec, January 29, 2017, 06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pechanec

Anyone know if the front output housing of a regular 1.2:1 case will work on a 1.6:1 military case? I have 2 partials , hoping to make a whole mil- spec case. Also, any recommendations for a shop in Edmonton area to rebuild ( told the bearings are done in the 1.6)?

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

binch

Bert can do that....and it's quiet now. ;)

Don't know about the fitting question though.....to far above my pay grade hahahhahhah
Cheers, Bill

Red90

You would need to investigate a lot further.  The problem is not the ratios.  The problem is the suffix of the box as things changed through the years.

There is no such thing as a "mil-spec" case.  They are the same as used on civilian trucks.

pechanec

Just happens to be army green is all

binch

"army green" as in dark green?   OR "army green" as in pale puke, be very afraid AVRO did the repairs green????
Cheers, Bill

pechanec

Dark green, still has Wolverhampton tag

pechanec

Dark green. Still has Wolverhampton tag

Matt H

So, you want put the lower geared case in a Discovery?
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

I guess I should ask, why are you wanting to swap front output housings?

pechanec

Missing from the lower geared case

Red90

When you remove the front output housing the output gears come with it along with the center diff.  What parts from the 1.6 lower end are you more specifically missing?  That will help determine if you can make up those parts from a 1.2.

pechanec

Front output segment, which I'm thinking should be just the output bearings and locking mechanism/diff. All main gear sets should be in main body of case , no?

Red90

Quote from: pechanec on January 30, 2017, 10:49 AMAll main gear sets should be in main body of case , no?

The shaft that the center diff is bolted to is what supports the output gears and the shifter.   If you are just missing the housing itself with output shaft, maybe it will work.  You would need to know every little difference that happened through the years or just try and see.  At a minimum, if it works, the bearing preload would need to be checked and adjusted with shims.  I can't imagine anyone has ever needed to try what you are asking, so it would be doubtful you will know without looking at it yourself.

If you do go down the route of a local rebuild, get a quote first and compare to bringing in a rebuild unit.  If you bring one in, I would consider changing to a 1.4.  You will be much happier with the higher gearing, IME.

pechanec

Thanx for the info

Trevor

I would second John's suggestion re the 1.4 gearing. Unless you're trailering the unit around, the 1.6 makes for some pretty slow highway driving.

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!