Fuel pump switch/gauge

Started by locknload, March 24, 2016, 10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

locknload

Building sill tanks for my D2 and am having trouble finding a suitable switch and gauge to keep a somewhat factory look.
I'd like to use the switch from BrownDavis or Longranger but can't seem to find a vendor to purchase from. Emailed both company's but no-reply. As far as my research goes they will work with a 0-90 sender.
Anybody have some leads. Thanks

Red90

What I do on my 90 is to switch the signal to the stock gauge.  You thus need the sameish range sender.  You can then use any switch that fits or matches your setup.  Maybe not what you want, but an option.

Red90

headdamage

I used a GM fuel change over valve that is electrically operated and in addition to changing the fuel lines from over it also changes the fuel level sender over at the same time so my gauge shows what is in the tank that I'm using at the time. A simple on off switch is all that is needed to operate the valve.

Red90

Quote from: headdamage on March 24, 2016, 01:44 PM
I used a GM fuel change over valve that is electrically operated and in addition to changing the fuel lines from over it also changes the fuel level sender over at the same time so my gauge shows what is in the tank that I'm using at the time. A simple on off switch is all that is needed to operate the valve.

Just a thing to watch.  If this is the Pollak fuel selector.  They don't use a simple on/off switch, although it looks that way.  They use an on/on dual pole switch with cross linked wiring.  The switch swaps power and ground back and forth between the two wires.  Maybe getting off topic...but it is important to know as not all switches can be configured in this way.

headdamage

You could be right, it has been a long time since I put it in. Anyway, it works and has done so for years so I must have got it right ;)

locknload

Quote from: Red90 on March 24, 2016, 01:53 PM
Quote from: headdamage on March 24, 2016, 01:44 PM

Just a thing to watch.  If this is the Pollak fuel selector.  They don't use a simple on/off switch, although it looks that way.  They use an on/on dual pole switch with cross linked wiring.  The switch swaps power and ground back and forth between the two wires.  Maybe getting off topic...but it is important to know as not all switches can be configured in this way.

Good tip on the selector wiring. I have one labeled "Standard" but is identical to the Pollak. Was planning on using the GM switch to control the selector valve and tank senders to one fuel gauge. The transfer pump switch is easy but the rest of the wiring could get complicated.  :-\