Ident help please

Started by polarbar, March 22, 2016, 03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polarbar

Hello to all. I have most of the body parts from an old series I but I don't know the year. Can someone please take a look at these pics and enlighten me?  Thanks. I think it is around a '56

Red90

3613 1953 LHD export. Number 3107.

In 24 Mar 1953
Out 27 Mar 1953
Colour L.I. Green
Dispatched to Rootes, Toronto

http://www.lrfaq.org/FAQ.3.Chassis_Numbers.html
http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.chassis_numbering.3613.html

Matt H

Good eyes! I couldn't make out the first number.

So it should be a late 80".
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

polarbar

Wow guys! Thanks a million! I didn't preview and I'm pretty embarassed by the clarity of those pictures! I didn't think they were that bad. She's even older than I thought. Now all I have to do is find a chassis for her! I suppose it would have to be one almost equally old, wouldn't it? Cheers.

Matt H

Easy way to tell is if the rear tub has only two cleats on the side, it's an 80". If it has three, it could be either a 86" or 88". 88" Series 1 will have 2" longer front wing between the bulkhead and wheel arch. Clear as mud?

Be careful looking for chassis if you want to retain originality. They changed in detail at the factory almost month to month.

Huge knowledge available from the Series One Club based in the UK.

Red90

Is there really any chance to find a useable and original Series 1 chassis?

Gardenome

Series one chassis's are currently not available due to legal reasons. As legacy parts start to be produced, that may change. I've heard of flat packs being available on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt H

Quote from: Red90 on March 23, 2016, 04:19 PM
Is there really any chance to find a useable and original Series 1 chassis?

I have a pristine chassis for a 107" Series 1 and useable 86"-88" chassis. I had to search about a bit to find them but they are out there. A surprisingly high number of S1's were imported to Canada during the 1950's. Many of these were fleet orders and dispatched in batches. So if anything the chances of finding a chassis that matches closely to the original could be better here than in the UK? Completely by chance I found two S1 88"' that are just one serial number apart at different ends of the province.

The chassis were made from a far superior grade steel back in those days so in a dry climate they survive quite well. The very first Series 1 Land Rovers came with galvanized chassis from the factory!

My name is Matt, and I'm a Series One Land Roverhollic.