Discovery 2 conversion to Diesel

Started by B-Red, February 29, 2016, 02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B-Red

I am interested in getting input on converting a Disco 2 to Diesel. The U.K. Model uses TD5 instead of 300TDI. ANY IDEAS.

Red90

You pretty much would need a complete donor vehicle and then it is a large and complex job. It would just be easier to import a complete left hand drive truck from Europe.

Red90

The problem is a Disco 2 has a complex networked  electronics system between multiple ECUs. Getting these all to work properly is not simple.

Matt H

Import a nice factory LHD TD5 Disco. You will spend less money, time and frustration and end up with a vehicle that still resembles the shop manual. A feature you will come to appreciate when you need to service/repair/troubleshoot the vehicle.

Or convert a D1. Altogether a much simpler conversion.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on February 29, 2016, 03:09 PM
Import a nice factory LHD TD5 Disco. You will spend less money, time and frustration and end up with a vehicle that still resembles the shop manual. A feature you will come to appreciate when you need to service/repair/troubleshoot the vehicle.

Or convert a D1. Altogether a much simpler conversion.

What Matt said!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Yeah, like john and matt say.....it's a nightmare to convert them.....be far cheaper to bring over an entire vehicle from Mainland Europe (if you want a LHD).     I'll pick it up on the east coast for you if you want pay my expenses :-)     Great drive in the early fall!!!!!
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

Thanks fellows. A doner vehicle idea was under consideration. I was wondering what would be wiser.
I have my 2001 Black Disco back from the farm storage...long story.
The engine overheated. I suspect a gasket job or a slipped liner. All other parts in drive train where looked after before engine failed. I was debating if I should remanufactured the engine or swap to diesel.
At $10k expense, are both options equal?

Matt H

First determine if the engine is indeed ruined or just requires head gaskets. If it just the HG, fix it. It's the cheapest/easiest option.

If the engine requires a rebuild the next cheapest option (if you do the work) is to fit a used engine. Some wreckers offer a warranty but I find it better to buy the entire vehicle that I can see and hear run. Buy any crash damaged, electrically disabled or rusted out Land Rover with a 4.0L or 4.6L block. This would include a later Disco 1, any Disco 2 and P38 Range Rover. Use the engine long block as a replacement for yours. Part out the remains to recoup the cost of the damaged vehicle purchase. Happy motoring. I've done this many times.

Option 3 is have the engine rebuilt or fit a new reconditioned engine.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.