Cooling Issues

Started by DefendersRock, February 01, 2016, 04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DefendersRock

Hey everyone,

I seem to be overheating (sometimes) at highway speeds.  When I’m having the issue (which seems to be intermittent) I’ll pull over when I’m close to the red line.  Usually the temp drops down to the 1 or 2 o’clock position pretty quickly when I slow down or stop.  Not always though.  A few times I’ve had this issue I’ve popped my hood and waited half an hour.  Afterwards the issue fixes itself and I run at 12o’clock again.  I also swear I have less power when it’s running hot. 

I’m pretty sure the thermostat is sticking but I would like to hear from you guys before I make any moves.  I have a ’95 Defender 300Tdi.  I have no idea if the cooling system has ever been flushed.  I’m pretty sure the rad is original.  It looks pretty grim inside my coolant reservoir... There’s an orange rust deposit everywhere in the reservoir below the water line.

Anyway if this has ever happened to you please let me know!  

Derek

Red90

First check that the fan viscous unit is working. When it get too hot, pull over. Carefully try and stop the fan with a rolled up newspaper. If you can stop it the unit is dead.

After that check the thermostat and the rad. You can get the rad recored locally.

DefendersRock

Lol I read about the official Landrover rolled-up-newspaper test

Thanks John!

binch

Be very careful not to overheat the 300tdi....the heads don't like that!

If your rad is pooched check the cost of re-coring vs new.    Hunter Rads here charges more for a re-core then to buy a new one.

Are you using a pyrometer?
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

If you do end up replacing the rad, do some shopping around as performance will vary noticeably between brands. If you are comparing local re-coring costs to new replacements, make sure to compare against LR original, not the aftermarket options like Britpart. If the local options that can maintain the original cooling properties, that's important.

Do not expect equal performance from the aftermarket suppliers like Britpart. I went this path with my Disco 2 and although the rad bolted in easily, functions ok and was very inexpensive, it under performs the original to the point that I cannot run AC at low speed when the outside temp is above 30C without overheating. Its just not built as well or designed to provide the same cooling capacity. A good example of getting what you pay for...its cheap, and accordingly it also is NOT the same calibre of rad....basically apples and oranges when it comes to functionality.

With the importance of cooling in a 300tdi, I would strongly recommend not getting caught in the "save a buck" trap for this item. Some things you should just spend a bit more money on for proper function, this is one of them imo.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

I too kind of prefer the local recore option.  You get a rad that you know is put together properly.  You can usually talk with them about options for core style as well.

For those that feel spendy...  http://www.allisport.com/product/allisport-300-tdi-uprated-high-efficiency-alloy-radiator-direct-replacement/

DefendersRock

Thanks for the advice guys.  I should be able to do some tinkering this weekend and figure out what I need

Red90

Hopefully it is as simple as the viscous unit.  They have a high failure rate.

For some reason, a lot of people have cooling problems with 300TDIs.  I'm not sure the reasons are completely know.

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on February 02, 2016, 08:03 AM
I too kind of prefer the local recore option.  You get a rad that you know is put together properly.  You can usually talk with them about options for core style as well.

For those that feel spendy...  http://www.allisport.com/product/allisport-300-tdi-uprated-high-efficiency-alloy-radiator-direct-replacement/

Holy poop, that's one snazzy rad!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

Probably not a good store to show Trevor....

Just don't look at all the other cool, hand made alloy stuff he builds.

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on February 02, 2016, 12:40 PM
Probably not a good store to show Trevor....

Just don't look at all the other cool, hand made alloy stuff he builds.

That much is certain...

...but too late, I already took the plunge
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

Just like fishing with dynamite!!!

;D
Cheers, Bill