Fuel Lines

Started by Red90, November 22, 2015, 08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

camo388

Just going by what they tell me.  Probably the air brake line they stock is different than the hose you are able to buy/use.
Here in small town Drayton Valley, I can only ask at the shops we have and consider what stock they carry and this is generally the most bought items. 
Don't know if we have a "hose store".  Everyone seems to carry a bit of everything.  NAPA generally auto supplies, United Truck large truck supplies, etc. etc.
But I'm sure if I did the research and asked for a certain item, someone could bring it in.

Red90

Perhaps you asked for "hose"?  Air brake "hose" is not what I am talking about and would NOT be suitable.

Air Brake "tubing", SAE J844.  It is all nylon.

I hopefully would not advise anyone to use something unsafe in a fuel system.  I kind of need my license to maintain a living.  You want air brake tubing, SAE J844.  Straight un-reinforced tubing in nylon, polyurethane, HDPE or PTFE would be also be suitable.  The air brake tubing tends to be more robust as 3/8" and larger it is reinforced and this makes it more kink resistant.

camo388

I'm not saying that your write up on the new fuel system was not well researched and am positive that you researched to get and use the proper materials.
My comment was more to show that not all of what I would call "plastic air brake line", is equal.  The United Truck shop carries what I would call by a generic name, "plastic air brake line", and it is just for air brakes and they have rubber hose, just for fuel lines.  When I asked for "plastic fuel line", they don't carry it.  I was sent to Gregg's and there they made sure that the plastic lines they stock were actually made for my intended use in diesel fuel service.  I could have asked for "plastic air brake line" and got it.  This is not suitable for diesel fuel lines but I would have got what I asked for.

Red90

All plastic air brake tubing is made from nylon and is suitable for fuel use.  I'm slightly more qualified than the people at the parts stores in the materials selection for piping systems.

binch

I was out measuring the tubes today and it looks like I have both 5/16 and 3/8's lines but it appears the 300tdi has a bit different configuration.   But this info is a big step forward to sorting that out.    Thanks for the info John....much appreciated sir! ;)
Cheers, Bill